What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My number one bike had developed two creaks.

After reading the Brooks saddle thread, I quickly sorted the creaking saddle by giving the tension adjuster a quarter turn using the spanner that came with the saddle. Easy peasy, and sorted in 30 seconds.

The other creak was coming (I think, by a process of elimination) from one or other of the pedals. Borrowed a Park Tools pedal spanner from @Dark46 the other day , and found it surprisingly easy to remove both pedals after a quick use of Google. Once off the bike, I could confirm that there is some rattle and lateral movement suggesting the bearings are nackered. Unfortunately my number two bike was less co-operative, and I was unable to free the pedals from that one. Would have been nice to try them out on number one bike to confirm that the pedals were the source of the noise. Given the wobbly bearings, I think I'll buy a couple of new ones anyway.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Continued to work on my home made truing stand. Almost there now, just need to make one mounting bracket and the guages.
IMG_20200320_170904291.jpg

roley poley

Über Member
failed to release my bottom bracket on the brommie left hand cup came off but not the right (left hand threaded undo clockwise) need to get that 2ft bit of scaffold bar my mate has for EXTRA leverage meanwhile it will lay on its side and soak through some easing oil

Gunk

Guru
failed to release my bottom bracket on the brommie left hand cup came off but not the right (left hand threaded undo clockwise) need to get that 2ft bit of scaffold bar my mate has for EXTRA leverage meanwhile it will lay on its side and soak through some easing oil

You can rebuild the BB with leaving it in situ.

Reactions: C R

roley poley

Über Member
You can rebuild the BB with leaving it in situ.
going to 110mm sealed bb cartridge rather than the 118mm sealed bb cartridge so the shorter axle 4mm each side can allow room for the double chain ring to work without chain rubbing on the larger inner when I select the smaller outer. Spaced them apart with 2mm washers but not enough ,will see how we go

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

The 3D widget I bought a few weeks back to hold my Exposure light under my Garmin holder worked fine but is designed to be held in place by three screws, but my Garmin holder only has one (in the centre). A few test rides showed the light was rotating gently to the right as I rode - meaning a very bright light risked shining into the eyes of oncoming drivers (it’s angled down slightly but even so I’d rather not take the risk). I didn’t want to permanently fix it with superglue, just in case I change lights at some point, so today I just wedged a thin couple of lines of blutack in the joint between the bottom of the Garmin holder and the top of the light holder. Works fine. Light now stays perfectly stable.

Only problem is I needed a slightly shorter screw as the blutack meant the existing screw wouldn’t fully screw in. Had one the right diameter but it’s a rounded-head screw that stands slightly proud when screwed in, rather than a flat-head that sits flush - and turns out it covers the two little holes on the underside of my Garmin 810 through which all the beeping sounds emerge. Not sure if that’s a win-win or a win-lose! Will see how I feel in a few days before deciding whether I can be bothered cutting down the length of the original flat-head screw to bring the beeping back.

Ian

Gunk

Guru
I have to look away 😮

I can’t look at a bike upside down resting on concrete, it just upsets me.

tom73

Guru
Quite pleased with myself the front chainrings on the spa always looked a bit past it and having some time ago replaced the rear cassette. Something was not quite right. So I thought just replace it. So now we all have a bit more time on our hands and now the crank puller has arrived.
I did a quick read up and checked it with youtube. So it may have taken a bit longer but i've done it never changed one before.
One new crankset is up and running :smile:
Just needs indexing and it should be good to go.

X-Trail converted to Di2 yesterday.

Running 1x11 at the mo as need a front derailleur clamp, also rear hydro hose replaced.

All went smoothly;only issue being the hose routing as it had a banjo on one end(br-785 caliper has banjo fitting) so had to rig up a guide hose to pull it through.

ST-R785 levers.

E-Bay purchased used and slightly abused Ultegra GS mech.

External battery holder.

Di2 updating.

All plugged in and showing Garmin steerer mount.

Actually realised I don't have a picture of the whole bike!:rolleyes::banghead:.

Will post one later.

God knaws if I'll actually ride it any time soon:wacko:

Gunk

Guru
My passenger door handle on my 2015 Golf jammed today, really irritating, I removed the handle, lubricated everything, reassembled and no difference :angry: then took a bit of material off the facing surfaces and it’s very slightly better, but still sticks. Bloody nuisance it looks as if it needs a complete new handle unit, colour coded so it won’t be cheap :angry:

keithmac

Guru
My passenger door handle on my 2015 Golf jammed today, really irritating, I removed the handle, lubricated everything, reassembled and no difference :angry: then took a bit of material off the facing surfaces and it’s very slightly better, but still sticks. Bloody nuisance it looks as if it needs a complete new handle unit, colour coded so it won’t be cheap :angry:

View attachment 509776

I've found thick gearbox oil works well for lubing plastic parts (Silkolene BOA 90 Hypoid), WD40 etc not so well.

Top Bottom