What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Well me and the boy had a go with our MT-5 engine today.

I was surprised how stout and well engineered the gearbox internals were, puts the Aprilia/ Gilera 50's I've had in bits at work to shame (plus this is a 1983 bike!).

New main bearings and seals in, was hoping to get it back in and running but had to order a piston (no point doing it half cocked).

Should have a tune out of it next Sunday!

20200322_103123.jpg

20200322_104210.jpg

20200322_104824.jpg

20200322_111454.jpg

20200322_111502.jpg

20200322_112548.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member

I was surprised how stout and well engineered the gearbox internals were, puts the Aprilia/ Gilera 50's I've had in bits at work to shame (plus this is a 1983 bike!).

New main bearings and seals in, was hoping to get it back in and running but had to order a piston (no point doing it half cocked).

View attachment 509827

View attachment 509824

View attachment 509825

View attachment 509826

View attachment 509823

View attachment 509828

That looks in really good condition

keithmac

Guru
That looks in really good condition

Yeh I was really surprised, rhs main bearing runs in gearbox oil so really it was only lhs main bearing that needed replacing. All the rest was spot on, gears and dog teeth like new!.

It was run on premix when we got it, I think they didn't run enough oil in with the fuel.

Barrel will hone nicely and a new piston will sort it out.

Might run it on Premix at 2.5%, don't really trust the oil pump.

keithmac

Guru
The Tikka Massala with rice readymeal pots are a good idea!

I've got stacks of them (take some meals to work and keep the tubs), keep all our margarine tubs as well.

Come in handy for all sorts!.

Apparently they can't recycle black plastic so at least they are getting more use.

Gunk

Guru
My passenger door handle on my 2015 Golf jammed today, really irritating, I removed the handle, lubricated everything, reassembled and no difference :angry: then took a bit of material off the facing surfaces and it’s very slightly better, but still sticks. Bloody nuisance it looks as if it needs a complete new handle unit, colour coded so it won’t be cheap :angry:

View attachment 509776

Called the dealer and spoke to a very experienced parts guy, he’s pretty sure that it’s the mechanism in the backing plate which is causing the problem, so cheap fix but labour intensive as the door card will have to come off. I’ll probably get them to do it.

View attachment 509827

View attachment 509824

View attachment 509825

View attachment 509826

View attachment 509823

View attachment 509828

Wife had a MB-50, when she was in year one of 6th Form
I only got to know her in her 2nd year of 6th, so it had gone

Maybe I ought to enlighten you
This was back in mid 1986...…...………..

Together since then, married in 1998

keithmac

Guru
Wife had a MB-50, when she was in year one of 6th Form
I only got to know her in her 2nd year of 6th, so it had gone

Maybe I ought to enlighten you
This was back in mid 1986...…...………..

Together since then, married in 1998

Good to know!.

I had my MT-5 at 6th Form (not this one though). Rebuilt it same as this one as it had knocked the big end out.

Happy days!.

roley poley

Über Member
Finally removed the BB on my Brompton with the help of the leverage of a 2ft section of scaffold bar ,took the 118mm out and put in 110mm .Now I thought I can run the double chain wheel (50 inner x 36 outer) without the chain rubbing the larger when running on the smaller ...YES!! and about 1mm clearance of the 50 from rear hinge ..NO!! the 50 catches on the rear hinge on folding ….BUM …. SO...will try the 112mm I have and use more spacers between chain wheels

keithmac

Guru
Piston came today for the MT-5.

Honed barrel and rebuilt with new piston and genuine Honda little end!.

Faced off cylinder head (was nice and flat!) and put it back together.

Odd how the mark IN on piston, most 2 strokes have an arrow pointing to exhaust.

Mulling over fitting modified reeds or just leave it standard for now.

Proper oil for it, should run forever.

Top Bottom