What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Cleaned and fitted new tyres on my fixed.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Stripped down my old Raleigh Twenty it’s now a box of bits.

Gunk

Guru
I got the Elvish down from the top of the racking in the garage this morning, once it’s on the ground you realise how tiny it is on it’s 20” wheels.

I also cleaned the windows in the garage lifted the blind and let some sun in :becool:

The Elvish has been untouched since November so I just firstly checked everything, put some air in the tyres, cleaned and oiled the chain. One problem I do have is with the rear wheel, the rim has taken a hard knock and whilst I’ve strighted it it does have a low point. I don’t have the expertise to fix it, and I doubt I can source a replacement rim so I need to find someone locally who will rebuild it. The rear jockey wheels also need replacement but NOS Simplex are £25 :sad:

What I did do though was to spend some time on the paintwork, I cut it back with paint restorer and then gave it some polish, the colour now really comes through, it must have been a really sharp bike back in the 1970’s when it was new.

So now it’s back up on the shelf whilst I work out how to sort out the rear wheel. No hurry though as it’s far too small for anyone in our family.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Thought it was only a case of a new gear cable needed on the Defy but ended up cleaning the rear derailleur shifter with a number of WD40 soakings and then an application of GT85 along with new length of outer from the shifter to the downtube. Seems okay now...

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Intended to go out on the summer bike a couple of weeks ago, immediately noticed rear tyre down to canvas.

Bought tyre last weekend, went to fit it yesterday, noticed the freehub was very draggy - to the point where the chain sags when freewheeling.

I keep a spare wheel, so swapped cassette on to that, fitted new tyre, quick ride ride the block, and boy, did it feel good!

After, took the hub axle out, all seemed well. Couldn't work out how to get to the free hub bearings, can someone point me to a good guide? I vaguely remember disassembling one before, involving a very large allen key, but it didn't seem obvious and I was wary of ball bearings falling out all over the place.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Went to change the pads on my disc brakes today and realised one of the pistons was seized in the caliper.

Managed to free it up, then extended it out and gave it a good clean. Seems to be moving freely now, but on trying to fit the pads realised they don't fit this caliper.

New ones on order, hopefully the brake will work ok when it's all back together (not used to fiddling with hydraulic brakes).

pawl

Legendary Member
Set a bike up on the turbo(of unknown origin) borrowed from my daughter.Only thing that doesn’t work is the cable thingy that controls the pressure to the roller doesn’t work.Think cable is seized will just use the gears to control effort.

Not looking forward to hours of utter boredom if cycling gets band.

roley poley

Über Member
Cleaned rims and blocks ,checked brake pad alignment and wound the adjusters out to near max to squeeze the last out of the shoes on the hybrid .Been using it local on my hour a day up hill and down dale to use as much energy in the time provided and they show the usage. Have a theory not to tighten the brake cable at the pinch bolt as when you come to change blocks and slacken it back to the original full shoe distance a weak point has been made by its compression ,you can see it as a squished kink in the cable run . Am I just paranoid ,a tight Yorkshireman or do others change blocks and cable at the same time?

Top Bottom