What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Untaped the old bar tape and moved the shifters up the bar and re tighten and rewrapped. I also rotated the bars downwards so the aero bars are actually now aero and flat. Will see how the next few rides go and if all is good will fit the nice new green fizik bar tape I have.

C R

Guru
Adjusted the reach of the brifter levers in my new bike, it was a bit of a stretch to brake from the drops.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will paint the metalwork black as I think it would look better, maybe a job for tomorrow.

When I last checked a couple of days ago, Lidl's still had plenty of metal paint in rattle cans left @ £2.99 a go. They had black and two shades of grey, a light-ish one and anthracite, which is fairly dark. I picked up a few of the latter in case I find myself needing to repaint any bike frames.

When I last checked a couple of days ago, Lidl's still had plenty of metal paint in rattle cans left @ £2.99 a go. They had black and two shades of grey, a light-ish one and anthracite, which is fairly dark. I picked up a few of the latter in case I find myself needing to repaint any bike frames.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have some metal paint that I did my railings with last year. I think you`d be pleased as it only cost me £2.50 to make and that was for the end caps.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have spent the last hour peeling 120 individual purple blobs of vinyl off my wheels, all the time questioning why I ever stuck them on in the first place :laugh: Much neater now I would say, ill get a photo of her out in the open tomorrow all being well ^_^

During the ride this afternoon I noticed the seat felt a little low so I've popped it up 5mm or so. I think I'm pointing my toes down more during pedalling recently, although it hasn't been a conscious change.

Garage needs a tidy again :shy:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Yesterday, I had one of those "I think I'll just give my CX bike a quick wash moments" which took a couple of hours! The wash itself took no time at all but, the Disc caliper overhaul (inc pad replacement), the chain removal + clean, and the cleaning of the cassette, chain-rings, F+R mechs and lubrication of just about everything else took a little longer :whistle:

My daily 30min exercise 'allowance' ride that followed has never felt/sounded so smooth :okay:

As a follow up to yesterdays post. I painted the metal parts on the cycle stand black, that was after a coat of rust killer. Looking on the paint tin it says it takes 16 hours to dry, so it will stay on the bench until tomorrow. What can I make today folks ?

Mike_P

Guru
Rear shifter opened upon again due to ongoing problems and a couple of tinyl flat pieces of what I presume must have been previous lube fished out and the whole soaked in oil.

JPBoothy

Veteran
With the help of some Tektro brakes I've got my Holdsworth Professional back on the road. Argos Racing Cycles provided its lovely new paint job.
Slight side issue but, how do you find your Tektro brakes? Some of my 'bike snob' work colleagues tend to knock anything not branded by the big names (Shimano/Sram/Campag etc..) but my Genesis SS came with Tekro fitted and, I would say that they are the best side pull brakes that I've ever had.

slow scot

Veteran
Slight side issue but, how do you find your Tektro brakes? Some of my 'bike snob' work colleagues tend to knock anything not branded by the big names (Shimano/Sram/Campag etc..) but my Genesis SS came with Tekro fitted and, I would say that they are the best side pull brakes that I've ever had.
I bought their brakes initially for an old Claud Butler that needed long drop brakes and found them to be perfectly OK. So had no qualms recently in buying the shorter drop ones for my Holdsworth. Their quick release mechanism is not my favourite, but price and stopping power both fine. I would recommend them.

Top Bottom