What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
if it counts the wardrobe ,sock drawer, t-shirt pile and decided I have a lot of new bike wipe rags

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Nothing today, but I have BIG plans for tomorrow. Going to try (again) to source the noise on a 20 year old titanium bike which has so far defied not just me, but a bike shop mechanic, who had it for almost an entire month. Have already wished myself luck on that one.

NdZax7B.jpg

If I’m feeling particularly masochistic, will extricate my wife’s electric beast bike from the back of the shed and get it up to speed, the first step of which will be sandblasting away the dust.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The rim on my Campagnolo Neutron front wheel is worn after I stupidly used it through a mucky winter a few years back. With the emergency services overstretched by COVID-19, me being a heavy bleeder due to long-term warfarin use, and a lot of fast descents round here, a potentially dodgy front wheel is the last thing that I should be riding!

I was going to swap the wheel for the Mavic Aksium that I have on my turbo trainer bike but it seemed a shame to downgrade the wheel on my best bike. Then I remembered that I had a pretty decent Campagnolo Proton front wheel in my cellar. I just checked it and it runs true and the bearings seem good so I have swapped the tube and tyre over to that wheel now and fitted it to my best bike.

I'll get someone with callipers to check the remaining rim thickness on the Neutron and see whether it is still safe. If it is, I'll keep it as a spare wheel. If not, I will put it on the turbo bike and keep the Aksium as a spare.

It is handy to have a spare wheel ready to go for those days when you discover a puncture just when you are about to dash out to meet someone***.

*** I am thinking for the post-COVID crisis future, naturally! :okay:

ColinJ

Hmm... I have just been looking at some photos of worn rim cross-sections online. It is clear that it isn't necessarily possible to measure the thickness of the entire rim wall if it has a box construction. Blow it - turbo duties, spare Aksium!

ColinJ

I decided while I was at working on the best bike I would swap saddles. I had a Ti Planet X saddle to put on in place of the ordinary alloy-tubed one which was on there. It will make a tremendous difference to my post-virus climbing times - I compared the weights and the new saddle is... 5 whole grams lighter! :laugh:

I noticed that the front brake block which I nursed through to the end of last season had only about 1 or 2 rides left in it and I don't want to risk wrecking the wheel that I have just put on so I replaced the block with a new one.

I also did the decent thing and washed the bike.

I'll go out on the bike tomorrow to remind myself how much I enjoy riding it.

JPBoothy

Veteran
My wife asked if I'd take a look at her broken heater 😳

Attachments

• 20200404_212729.jpg
    20200404_212729.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4

figbat

Slippery scientist
On the Cube hardtail:

Replaced the rear mech cabling - it’s internally cabled with just the inner so I had to pull through an old bit of inner as I withdrew the old cable then use that to pull the new inner back through. I then had to do it all again as I had forgotten to fit the outer at the handlebar end. :blush: Such a light gear change action now though.

Replaced the cable for the remote fork lockout. I’ve only been meaning to do this since I first got the bike, about 4 years ago.

Did a lower leg fork service - new dust seals, wiper and oil. What a difference!

Gunk

Guru
Weather was so nice today I made a cup of tea, put the radio on and fitted the Gatorskin tyres to my road bike which I’ve been meaning to do for ages.

I wanted something a bit more all round than the current Schwalbe One’s that it came with, they’ll be perfect for a project bike and they fold so easy to put on a shelf in the garage.

whilst the wheels were off I cleaned and really detailed the whole bike.

tyres went on easily

just hope there’s not an exercise ban as I’m looking forward to putting some miles on it on the road rather than the turbo!

Nothing much

1. Finished de-mossing the block-paved drive (double car width), started on a garden path, but it's too windy & was all blowing about before I could sweep it up - so that's for another day

2. Chain-rings off the CGR, & cleaned, along with the chain and derailleurs

3. Pre-coloured hard-board 'triangles cut up, to help brighten up the stairs to the basement
That portion is presently painted/stained a dark charcoal (& it's easier than painting, & peeling the carpet back)

13 rider

Guru
Just been outside to wash the bike after today's ride . Thought that back wheel looks a bit flat ,yep 40 psi instead of 80 psi found a blob of tubeless sealant on the tyre . Didn't even notice while on the ride I like my tubeless wheels ^_^
Checked the sealant via a syringe in the valve core ,nearly all gone so topped up the sealant pumped back up and all resealed ok . 5k miles might be time for a new tyre noticed a few cuts in the tyre so time for a new one I think

Top Bottom