What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Was cutting some 6 x 2 timbers with the electric saw yesterday, all of a sudden there was a clunk and it stopped. also tripped the circuit breaker, Just what i needed, thought i would pull it apart and see what caused it. I found the front bearing had collapsed, out with the old one, measured it up. ordered a new one from Wych bearings, £6.00 with postage. hopefully get it tomorrow, then can get on with building my staircase.:okay: View attachment 508768
Just did the same for my circular saw

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
SWMBO asked us to look at her bike ( :eek: - she's not ridden it for 5 years) so we got her Specialized Globe Daily 2 out, cleaned and lubricated it plus fitted new hand grips. The Nexus hub works fine and she wanted a rear bag for shopping fitting so we did that. She might use it :okay: It's one of these:
specialized-globe-daily-roll-2-step-through-2013.jpg

Also did a 'wheel' tidy up and sort out. As a result I've got 10 wheels to sell. We're focusing on upgrading what we have and these are no longer needed.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
SWMBO asked us to look at her bike ( :eek: - she's not ridden it for 5 years) so we got her Specialized Globe Daily 2 out, cleaned and lubricated it plus fitted new hand grips. The Nexus hub works fine and she wanted a rear bag for shopping fitting so we did that. She might use it :okay: It's one of these:
View attachment 512810
Also did a 'wheel' tidy up and sort out. As a result I've got 10 wheels to sell. We're focusing on upgrading what we have and these are no longer needed.
That’s a very nice Dutch bike. My wife wants one just like that in the picture.

gavgav

Guru
The better weather and roads drying up, mean it should be time to get out on the Carbon road bike, soon (exercise still allowed permitting!) and so I dug it out of the shed, today.

Tyres pumped up to required pressure, chain cleaned and oiled, dust from the winter storage wiped off and shakedown test for all of 1/2 a mile around the estate.

Looking forward to getting out properly, on the roads again, with it

Gunk

Guru
The better weather and roads drying up, mean it should be time to get out on the Carbon road bike, soon (exercise still allowed permitting!) and so I dug it out of the shed, today.

Tyres pumped up to required pressure, chain cleaned and oiled, dust from the winter storage wiped off and shakedown test for all of 1/2 a mile around the estate.

That’s a big estate, where do you live Sandringham :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Replacement bearings arrived in the post this morning. 6903RS stainless. Popped the non drive side end cap off, removed cassette, undid drive side cap, freehub slid off.

Removed brake disc.

Popped wheel over a piece of timber with a hole in, axel in hole, wood block on other end of axel, hit with hammer. Bearing popped out. Put axel back in and repeat other side.

Cleaned hub, put new bearing on axel, lined up with hub, 22mm socket on outer edge of bearing, and tapped back in each side. Perfect.

Re-assembled.

Both old bearings still smooth, but non-drive side had play. Binned. Other bearing saved (probably never to be used again).

Might do the freehub at some point. Uses 2x 6092 bearings with a spacer in the middle.

Finished the bar tape on my road bike. Just waiting for my green saddle to arrive then I think she is finished.

Looked at prices for a trainer sweat guard online and borked at the price so grabbed an old unused micro fibre towel and cut it to shape. Secured with three tie wraps (need to source some Velcro straps) and a bit of electrical tape and jobs a good un.

roley poley

Über Member
seat post sink on the Brompton.. it felt so weird like I was growing with the joy of cycling on my exercise allowance ..no ..slightly greasy seat post ..cured it with a bit of alcohol gel from my hand sanitiser

Gunk

Guru
As I've got plenty of time on my hands at the moment I'm enjoying going though all of our bikes, deep cleaning, detailing and servicing each one.

Today was the turn of my sons road bike, this really is a lovely thing, Nice light carbon frame and a durable Sora 2x9 groupset, we only paid just over £300 for it 18 months ago, an absolute bargain! however like most teenagers he just rides it, it's never cleaned or loved so I attacked it on the work stand today.

First job was to deep clean it and with the wheels off I managed to get into every crevice and detailed it. I also lightly cut back the paintwork with some cutting paste and it came up beautifully.

My son was complaining about the brakes so I swapped the original Sora's for a set of almost new Shimano BR-R561 callipers I had in the garage with actually look identical to the Silver Sora callipers I removed, but they are a big improvement.

I doubt I'll get any gratitude, but I think it looks stunning!

Next up will be my 2007 Specialized S Works Epic mountain bike, I haven't given that a proper deep clean for years so should keep me occupied for a couple of hours.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just trying to remote-fettle for my daughter who's stranded in a little fishing village in Morocco and has just managed to lay her hands on a bike, but the brakes are apparently a bit of a nightmare. Tried to talk her thru' cables and nuts and adjusters...I think she got it. She said the bloke who lent her the bike waved away her concerns, saying 'in Morocco, we do it like this' - jamming his foot against the rear wheel. :eek:

Dragged down some more wood from the garage loft to make cycle stand number 2, this time all wood. Cut the wood but will assemble and paint another day.
Still waiting for the rubber tubing ends to arrive to finish stand number 1 made last week. I will post a picture when finished.

Drago

Legendary Member
Started stripping the Pinncale fors its yearly going over. Wheels off, frame books and crannies cleaned. Sealed headset bearings re lubed by virtue of lifting the seal with a scalpel and injecting new grease with a syringe. Tomorrow it's new cassette and chain time.

The Felt has taken front line duties for the meantime, bit if the weather turns wet I'll use the carbon Boardman, cos I don't like it much and if it gets all dirty and sheety I don't care.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First job of the day was to fit the newly arrived FSA wing compact handlebars to my best Van Nicholas - these are the same bars as on my Spa and extremely comfortable with a slightly flattened top, but 44cm wide which is the same as on the commuter Van Nicholas, so the best of both worlds. A few short trips around the block to get the correct position before applying new tape with a proper test ride to follow tomorrow (hopefully).

Next up was the Spa. It's been on a mixed set of Vittoria tyres for a while - 32mm up front, 37 on the rear - and I've been meaning to swap these for the 32mm GP 4 Seasons I pcked up at the end of last year. Spinning the wheels to check the new tyres were seated correctly, the bearings felt a little rough so the axles on both were removed and additional grease added. The rear took more time that expected to set back up, but both seem to be a lot smoother and freeer running.

Top Bottom