What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stickers arrived today.

1st job was wash my bike down as I'd done a 16 mile off road ride this morning.

2nd job was to autoglym Mrs F's BMC Fourstroke MTB.

Once this was done, the courier delivered my stickers. Bright green Rock Shox stickers for my fork and shock. Tart.:girl:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Took it for a ride today. Noise gone.👍

Finished the bar tape on my road bike. Just waiting for my green saddle to arrive then I think she is finished.

Looked at prices for a trainer sweat guard online and borked at the price so grabbed an old unused micro fibre towel and cut it to shape. Secured with three tie wraps (need to source some Velcro straps) and a bit of electrical tape and jobs a good un.

View attachment 512984

More pictures

helped manager with a Canyon that had Di2 issues; after going through the diagnostics it had a dead battery.

Helpfully Canyon in their wisdom have the battery mounted in the down tube in front of the bb so the press fit bb has to be removed to access it;why the hell they can't fit it in the steerer or seat post I don't know,so customer has a bigger bill coming for labour.

The more Canyons that come in the less I like them,,,

Gunk

Guru
It was the turn of my mountain bike today.

Most of my efforts were focussed on the rear mech, I haven’t posted any “before” photos as I’m so ashamed of the state of it. Both jockey wheels had to be removed and I scrubbed and degreased it.

I also cut back the frame and forks, they came up really well.

I even cleaned and detailed the levers and shifters. Whilst up on the stand I realised that the Headset bearings need changing, it’s notchy, so that’s another job for another day.

also cleaned and cut back the crankset.

I spent a good hour on both wheels.

This is the deepest clean it’s had in probably 5 years, tomorrow it’s off to the woods to cover it in mud again 🤦‍♂️

Decided my Raleigh Twenty should have it's original fork back, but a bit modified:

First, the Raleigh steerer tube hack off, and a new one added with the standard 24TPI
1586441664934.jpeg

Next, some V-brake studs added
1586441837061.jpeg

A fiddly welding job for sure
1586441936069.jpeg

And installed back on the bike. Rubbish touch up paint, but what the hey
1586442055473.jpeg

Can't be too many double crown forks with V-brakes on them ^_^

Most of my efforts were focussed on the rear mech, I haven’t posted any “before” photos as I’m so ashamed of the state of it. Both jockey wheels had to be removed and I scrubbed and degreased it.

View attachment 513544

View attachment 513545

My bike used to get fairly grubby on certain CX courses
Some were notorious for really claggy mud^_^

513869 513871

Does anyone else have problems with saddle bag velcro straps rubbing against the lyrca shorts causing them to fray and wear ? I have tried an idea I came up with. I had some rubbery finishing tape that came with my Cinelli bar tape. I glued some of it to the outside of the strap and then tucked it behind the seat post. After today`s ride the tape was still there and no more fraying. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Made and fitted an improvised rod brake clamp to my old Raleigh Dawn Tourist 3-speed roadster, using a M8 HT set screw I had to hand. Filed off the thread on one side of the screw to create a flat, then cross drilled it 4mm dia for the rod to go through. Cut the hex head off with a small cordless angle grinder, and smoothed the cut surface with a flat file. Fitted to bike and secured with a flat washer & nyloc nut, then cut off the excess thread length with the grinder - gradually so I didn't overheat the nyloc. Metric coarse isn't the ideal thread as it's deep, so the root diameter is less. It's only a quick get out of trouble bodge/fix though, so I can have two brakes not just one! If the correct clamp that has gone AWOL turns up, I'll refit that. If not, I'll make one myself in my old Myford centre lathe, or I'll do the same as this time but use a 5/16" UNF bolt instead of a metric set screw.
Having got the rear brake working, I've discovered that it's efficiency is shite, and way less than the front brake, which is very good. Looks like I'll be removing the rear brake blocks next and either roughing them up to increase friction, or replacing them. On the plus side, I had a nice relaxed 10 mile road test to add to the 30 miles I did this morning on my Pioneer.

Mike_P

Guru
Very light fettling today - swopped saddles between the hybrid and the ebike. The Hybrids saddle was that supplied with it by Ridgeback, a "Ridgeback Custom" saddle which I found very comfortable without needing any padded shorts so whilst it was an ebike conversion it was fine for commutes and shopping trips. The saddle supplied with the ebike in comparison gets a bit tedious to ride on without unpadded shorts on longer shopping trips.

Top Bottom