What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The latest trike has been road tested and awaiting paint , with 3 weeks of lockdown , now awaiting a few more shakedown rides before strip and spray.

Attachments

• 20200403_130518.jpg
    20200403_130518.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 6

Gunk

Guru
Mrs Gunk reminded me today that the bikes have received plenty of attention but the garden hasn’t.

So today I tackled our bench and path. Both looking very neglected.

I jet washed and repaired the bench

Then I jet washed the path, it is in a bit of state and has settled (I laid it 17 years ago) so when all this is over, I’ll lift it and replace the slabs with proper stone, but it looks so much better. Off for a cheeky beer now.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tidied the shed (bike parts storage unit) a bit more and got a number of items to put on eBay.

Also swapped the front tyre on my Avanti Circa from a 35 to 30mm cross tyre and did a test ride https://www.strava.com/activities/3285235444 . No longer catching - so the '35mm limit' mudguards I have don't actually work with 35mm tyres :whistle:

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
Tidied and cleaned the no1 and no2 tool box out, promoted and relegated between them, found some autosol and was so bored I polished the wheel rims (not the brake surfaces).Twinkly ! Never been like that before.Best get that bathroom painted before I wear my thumbs out with over twiddling them hadn't I ?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Chain has been rubbing on the FD. Put a straight edge on the cage and realised it wasn't pointing quite fore-and-aft.

Then I remembered that I'd lent my multitool to my son to fix my disabled grandson's trike, and my loose Allen keys were somewhere under a pile of junk on my bench.

So I'm ashamed to say that I resorted to a couple of taps with a hammer to rotate the FD. Happily, it worked well.

My Octavia, not my CGR

Rear wiper's not working
Have managed to persuade the nut holding the wiper arm on, to come loose (short bar onto 14mm socket) & a few taps from a rubber mallet

Next job, once the penetrating oil has had chance is to try & get it off the splines...…………………….
(before removing the tail-gate interior trim)

CXRAndy

Guru
SWMBO asked us to look at her bike ( :eek: - she's not ridden it for 5 years) so we got her Specialized Globe Daily 2 out, cleaned and lubricated it plus fitted new hand grips. The Nexus hub works fine and she wanted a rear bag for shopping fitting so we did that. She might use it :okay: It's one of these:
View attachment 512810
Also did a 'wheel' tidy up and sort out. As a result I've got 10 wheels to sell. We're focusing on upgrading what we have and these are no longer needed.

Similar to my wife's bike, except slightly different downtube allowed me to fit this

She never refuses to cycle to the local watering spots :biggrin:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The Boardman's not really had any attention since last year so I gave it a bit of a spring clean. Chain off and chucked in the wax bath, wheels off, everything cleaned and frame (carnauba) waxed. Seatpost removed and cleaned of some grit and crap that had made its way in via the slot in the rear of the frame / along with the (thankfully light) corrosion that had resulted.

I adjusted the saddle to give a little forward rake which seems to have helped my stability and ability to remain low at the front of the bike. Bike re-assembled with my spare waxed chain and I went out for a ride; to be yet again reminded that I need to tweak the limit screws on the front DR to stop the chain rubbing at the top end :rolleyes:

Slioch

Guru
I've had a Shimano R500 wheelset on my winter bike for about 5 or 6 years now and done several thousands of trouble-free miles in the wet and muck, so decided it was high time to give them a bit of tlc.

Axles stripped, cleaned, bearings replaced, regreased, and reassembled, and a spin round the block to check everything is working as it should.

I was really surprised at how good a condition they were still in. The original grease was still green coloured and not the usual grey gungy stuff you'd expext to find, and there was minimal wear on the ball races. Amazing really for such a budget-priced set of wheels.

Top Bottom