What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This lunch-time whilst working from hope I set the 'winter commuter' Avanti Circa 1 up as a summer 'cross bike with cross wheels and tyres with some adjustments to the mudguards. I also changed the chain as it wasn't looking great. Cleaned from late winter gunk and lubricated.

What were in a better state was the wheels so rather than being binned they'll do for later this year once things improve. Both spun well and apart from surface rust on the bolts/skewers were fine.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Set a bike up on the turbo(of unknown origin) borrowed from my daughter.Only thing that doesn’t work is the cable thingy that controls the pressure to the roller doesn’t work.Think cable is seized will just use the gears to control effort.

Not looking forward to hours of utter boredom if cycling gets band.

I have taken the cable off mine, it is so much easier to use the gears, at least you are not wearing one cog on the cassette, however I spend most time in one gear once I have warmed up:rolleyes:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Tent related.
I tore one of the tabs on the inner tent off a couple days ago and set to sewing it back on today.
As you can see, my sewing skills are second to none and worthy of the tate.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Finished off my Wheel Truing stand today, it's a little rough in places, but it works. With all of the DIY stores shut to normal customers, it was a case of using anything I could find from in my workshop. I made a deviation from the plans in the way I made the truing gauge, I may also screw the gauge to the base, I need to test the 20 inch wheel in my folder for fit first.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Praxis GXP BB removed, regreased and my seat clamp removed, cleaned and re-assembled on the MTB. Getting some creak on steep climbs, mainly when sat, so it's one of the two.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Changed the bars on my "best" Raleigh Pioneer today for some salvaged off a donor 3-speed I was given. Been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks. The one shortcoming of this Pioneer was that it originally came with MTB style bars as the Trail model seemed to be marketed as a "MTB lite" rather than a commuter. Because of that, the bar height at max adjustment was always about an inch less than I would have liked, having no rise on them. The "new" bars are a semi-North Road pattern (IIRC, they were known as "all-rounders" BITD) and they have made a huge improvement to what was already a good riding bike. After I'd finished refitting the various bits in the right places I went out for two hours, and covered just under 20 miles. I would have stayed out longer, but I'd restocked the fridge with bottles of Bank's bitter when I went to Lidl earlier, and all that cycling was making me thirsty! :laugh:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Does it fold flat for storage?

Up to a point. The bolts holding the uprights are only tightened up using wingnuts, so they'll easily undo and the uprights can be taken off. I'll do the same with the guage if I attach it to the base. So not too bad for storage.

All in, it's cost about Ten euros for a bunch of M8 nuts and bolts and a slab of steel, the rest was from scrap or old screws etc. Quite pleased with that.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I woke up this morning and decided it was to swap my wheels over on the Pilot :smile: I gave her the obligatory clean in the process; chain removed and decreased, cleaned the cassette of the winter wheel for storage, removed the brake pads to clean the calipers and checked all the pistons were moving freely.

I decided to weigh the wheels out of interest, including tyres, and was surprised at the difference. The mavic aksiums were 650g heavier overall, quite significant :ohmy:

Anyway, all back together ready for an evening ride out before dinner now :okay:

Before, with the Aksiums I use over winter:

And after with the summer wheels back on :smile:

Next job will be to remove the decals from the wheels, I'm not overly keen on them. It'll look cleaner without them :okay: plus the weight different will increase to 653g :ohmy::laugh:

Gunk

Guru
In anticipation of a decent weekend, I dug out the barbecue. Learnt a lesson and that is to never put it away dirty, it was full of mould and mouse droppings. Took 2 hours with elbow grease, wire wool and a wire brush to get it clean, but it’s already for lamb kebabs tomorrow evening!

I also decided to touch in the silver bolts on my Brompton modified basket.

I though it just looked a bit “DIY” with the silver bolt heads. So I masked them all off

and then painted them with satin black

really pleased with the results, looks much better.

Top Bottom