What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Wheel off fettle earlier today..
Bushwhacked on a local ride.

Gunk

Guru
Very nice, but I'm afraid you're going to need to get some tan bar tape now...

I’ve been persuaded, I’m going to fit some Cinelli cork ribbon in natural colour.

Reactions: DSK

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I realise I'm going to either have to decide to get rid of the Moulton or start disassembling it and have a really good look at it.

First things first though: I'll slap the chain back on when I've cleaned it and pedal it around the block to see what it's like.

Not today but yesterday. I had managed to run my tubeless disk with a threadless stem extender for about 3000 miles no problem but I couldn't get it to seal properly when I fitted new tyre so I ordered a threaded stem extender a fortnight or more and it came yesterday. I was going to put it on my long stem but it was seized (I could probably un seize it by dissolving the sealant) so I used a clean short stem and two extenders and that all seems to be holding air. I'm itching to take it out for a test but its turned a tad blowy out there :shy:

pawl

Legendary Member
Washed the car as as bikes all fettled.What the hell am going to do tomorrow.Ah I know go for a ride

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
The previous owner of a recumbent trike I'm renovating had cut a slice off both the upright seat frame tubes. With additional scrapes around top of each tube I'd surmise it was done to avoid the need to remove the seat when moving the trike from the back to the front of his terrace house.

1 Seat Frame and Mesh Before 705.jpg

Whilst that may well have eased movement through his back passage (sorry for that one), it does mean the top of the mesh seat covering can't be correctly tensioned.

Using metal bonding resin as glue, two support tubes were inserted to an appropriate depth first, then a correctly-sized and shaped "crown" was bonded onto the support on each side.

2 Seat Frame and Crowns small 705.jpg

3 Seat Frame Support Resin and Crown small 705.jpg

File/sand to flush, now the frame is ready for some paint.

4 Sanded and ready for paint small.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well, I don't know why but I've started cleaning up the steel and chromed parts on the Moulton (aluminium foil and a bathroom descaler), maybe because I wanted to see how well it worked- it works quite well.

Shiny!

d4a3iY3.jpg

5SrHN8W.jpg

The rims are pretty good under the grime and rust.

The rear mudguard has a lot of chrome flaked off, the front is good.

The rear fork looks OK to me but I'm going to need to get it off and have a good look (if I keep it!)

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Judging by the brake blocks (I think they are original: 'John Bull' brand) and chain I don't think it's seen a whole lot of use & by the pattern of grime and rust I reckon it's been stored in a garage for a long time. The pedals look more worn than they should be- perhaps the rubber just creeps over the years so they've sort of deformed rather than worn.

Top Bottom