What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some half-hearted tinkering on the Kingpin. Removed the front luggage rack as I doubt I'll use it and I think it looks much better without.

Apart from cleaning and basic lubrication I've used the bike as bought 'til now. While the front wheel was off I decided to service the bearings and unfortunately they look as though they have never been done. Very little grease and what there was had the consistency of tar. The cones are pitted and the balls weren't great either. Greased and rebuilt with new balls which will keep them going for a while longer. I do have new wheels in mind at some point anyway.

I had hoped to do something with the rear hub today but I see that it needs a 16mm cone spanner which I don't have.:rolleyes: I'll have to check what other tools I'm missing.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I realise I'm going to either have to decide to get rid of the Moulton or start disassembling it and have a really good look at it.

While scraping away at the rust spots on the rear rim today I settled on perhaps a light restoration. Clean up, tyres & tubes, cables, oil in the hub and see how it goes. I haven't got anywhere to store it (I don't want to leave it under a cover during the winter) so I'll probably move it on later but I want to ride it first.

Gunk

Guru
Changed the bar tape today.

si_c

Guru
Brake upgrade on the Trek, swapped out the Tektro R531F brakes for a set of R7010s instead, a cosmetic rather than functional upgrade as the brakes weren't lacking power before hand.

Easy on easy off for them both, far easier than I'd imagined and actually much easier to install direct mount brakes than regular rim brakes.

Looks very nice Mr Gunk. That saddle though, hope it's more comfy than it looks. In my quest for the least uncomfortable saddle I got a Charge Spoon a while back, following many favourable comments about it. Man, it was painful, couldn't wait to put that one down to a mistake. Got a Brooks B66 from my brother, he hated it, but it's great for me. Even siblings are designed differently :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
I’ve used a Charge spoon before and they are a very comfortable saddle. time will tell on the fancy Selle Italia SLR, first impressions are good though.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I like the look of that saddle @Gunk, however have to disagree with the charge spoon, I just couldn't get on with mine, swapped for a felt one that I initially couldn't get on with, came fitted to a new bike (stop gap), However it has stayed on for over 1000 miles, just goes to show how we are all different, I hope you get on with that saddle, it really does look good, especially now you have changed the bar tape to suit ^_^^_^

edited.... it is a fabric with titanium rails.... pinched back of my 13 year olds bike

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cleaned up the chain of the Moulton in the ultrasonic bath at work, came up pretty good. Stuck it back on.

Can't ride it around the block until I get some tyres and tubes (current ones have probably been on there since 1965, although the front is still holding air!)

Last edited:
Gears, always fettling gears...
Well, I've had more than my fair share of irritation with front and rear mechs lately, but I think I've cracked both ends.
I've had a couple of severe chain-offs from the small ring, and the chain has got twisted. Having set up the limit screws on the FD for the umpteenth time, I think it will stop, but have decided to fit a chain-catcher. Any recommendations?
I only noticed it while trying to get the rear gears indexed. While sitting on the 11t sprocket, the chain would suddenly lift up to the next one, then drop again. I watched it go round several times before twigging what was going on. This also explained the once-in-a-chain-revolution rubbing noise I was getting. So, have attempted a bit of un-twisting, and seems OK, but new chain incoming!
Also fixed up the Cateye Velo 2 cable, and now spinning the front wheel to input an extra 48km to the odometer after missing the long ride the other day.

Top Bottom