What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Given the chain on the recumbent a wipe down with a rag and white spirit. Excess oil,and gunk nicely removed. Waiting for the white spirit to evaporate. Then relube and rewipe chain. Then will also swap turbo wheel for the outdoor wheel.

Also adjusted bearings on the front wheel. Tightened them up a bit. Grease in bearings looks fine right now.
White Spirit is my 'cheap and effective' go to cleaner for everything. Don't anybody be drawn in by that eco-friendly 'Clean Spirit' as it is total crap.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bits and pieces over the past couple of days with the PlanetX hillclimb bike build stalled as I'm still sourcing a crankset and shifters:

- The Dawes Kingpin's been partly stripped in preparation for new wheels and a re-paint.
- Swapped the Absolute Black oval chainrings from my son's winter Boardman, where he was testing them, to his BeOne Raw training bike. Not the easiest job and, as that's the one we're both currently using on the smart turbo it should be interesting to see what they're like.
- Began work on the Peugeot Tourmalet project; crankset off, brake cable rusted stuck inside the frame freed, bottom bracket removed and re-greased.
- Wrong size front wheel that came on the Peugeot re-greased with new bearings.
- Drillium chainrings with stuck bolt loosened; I drilled out the bolt.
- Tyre onto a track wheel for the Fuji Track Classic; just a grasstrack rear wheel needed now.

Gunk

Guru
Bits and pieces over the past couple of days with the PlanetX hillclimb bike build stalled as I'm still sourcing a crankset and shifters:

- The Dawes Kingpin's been partly stripped in preparation for new wheels and a re-paint.
- Swapped the Absolute Black oval chainrings from my son's winter Boardman, where he was testing them, to his BeOne Raw training bike. Not the easiest job and, as that's the one we're both currently using on the smart turbo it should be interesting to see what they're like.
- Began work on the Peugeot Tourmalet project; crankset off, brake cable rusted stuck inside the frame freed, bottom bracket removed and re-greased.
- Wrong size front wheel that came on the Peugeot re-greased with new bearings.
- Drillium chainrings with stuck bolt loosened; I drilled out the bolt.
- Tyre onto a track wheel for the Fuji Track Classic; just a grasstrack rear wheel needed now.

I had a Tourmalet 30 years ago, it was a really lovely bike, I gave it to my brother and within a week he managed to get it stolen.

I updated the firmware for my gearing, then trimmed in the front mech a bit today. I much prefer doing it with a computer, rather than cable tension.

Reactions: DSK

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of paint touching up after Sunday's Epic ride. We did some seriously bouldered descents and one rock absolutely walloped the frame. Found out it had kicked up, and gone between the tyre and swing arm, and took a chunk out of the chainstay - certainly wasn't a 'carbon bike descent' - you'd be some what worried.

Reactions: DSK
Swapped my 3x8 to 1x8 and shortened the chain to suit also took a bit of bake outer off the rear mech to make it look a bit neater, just waiting for a lockout remote lever before giving it a bash in the forest, the narrow wide 34T chainring should be a good compromise and even better when my 11-34 8 speed cassette arrives.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The crank axle on my 1990's Raleigh was bent so I got a replacement exactly the same length.

Unfortunately the distance between the bearing races on the original was 58mm and it was 52mm on the new one. I couldn't screw the adjustable cup in enough to compensate so I just put another row of ball bearings on top of the existing one. I've now got a 33 bearing crank.

Gunk

Guru
Serviced my Honda

JPBoothy

Veteran
I have just had my stand out on the lawn tuning in the gears and setting-up the brakes on my wifes friends husbands (:wacko:) new Merida road bike after he went mad adjusting the High/Low screws himself. Not a bad looking bike for a sale price of around £500 but everything was unbranded apart from the 8spd Shimano Claris. I hadn't realised that even Claris now has the cables routed behind the bar tape.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive had lots of failures some bike related.

Mended Karcher pressure washer-new start run capacitor

HP laptop- new mini pci wifi card

Found reason for random RCD tripping on consumer unit-earth leakage clamp confirmation

Currently fabricating simple bracket for expansion coolant bottle to sort out loss of coolant from ride on mower

Wife's pedal crank fell off mid ride, a quick retrace of route found dropped allen bolt:laugh:

Top Bottom