What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
New chain and cassette on the Trice XL so now it's road ready after all the upgrades of the last few months:-
Brakes (Hope Mini 2002-07), ..................…...…………………...Was TRP Spyres
Rear hub (Hope RS Mono), .....................…......…………...…...Was Shimano Deore
Derailleurs (Shimano Ultegra, 6500 9speed), ...............…..Were Shimano Deore
Crankset (165mm FSA triple), .................................………….Was Shimano Tiagra 9 speed Triple
Rebuilt front wheels to 3X DT spokes, ………………...………..Was 2X plain spokes
Sun-up eco maxidyn spoke drive dynamo on rear wheel,
Lights Front, AXA 70 Luxx (dynamo) + Hope R4+,
Rear AXA riff (dynamo) + Lidl usb rechargeable thing,
Topeak ride case and stem mount for phone + charging from dynamo.
I haven't been out on it yet but it's been tested on the turbo trainer and everything seems to work.^_^
It even charges the phone (iPhone 6s) with the lights on doing 9 mph.

Last edited:

philtalksbx

Über Member
New chain and 38T inner chainring on the CB to follow up the bar tape and cables on Tuesday. Much smoother and happier uphill than the 42 gave

IMG_0215.jpeg

There's a build thread somewhere with more details if you are curious.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Peugeot 525 I mended a bit for someone needed a couple of jobs; new front gear cable and adjusting the rear. All done. Then had a look at a friend's vintage Kalkhoff which still had the same cables from 30 years ago :eek: . Adjusted a bit, fitted new brake pads and advised them to get a full set of inner/outer cables which would probably sort the 'sticky' shifting :whistle:

Began work on the Peugeot Tourmalet, fitting new Leechi brake levers and the front brake cable, a replacement crankset and inner/outer gear cables. Rear brake cable to do tomorrow plus seatpost / paint / wheels if they arrive and a chain. It'll be done quicker than planned.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
The new non drive side crank on my clunker came loose for the second time in a week.

Not wanting to start the grease no grease debate again, but stripped it off, degreased both sides lightly scuffed up the BB side and reassembled slightly over tightened.

*I neither fitted the new crank nor greased it

Gunk

Guru
The new non drive side crank on my clunker came loose for the second time in a week.

Not wanting to start the grease no grease debate again, but stripped it off, degreased both sides lightly scuffed up the BB side and reassembled slightly over tightened.

*I neither fitted the new crank nor greased it

my preference is to copper slip the fixed cup and make sure it’s tight. The adjustable non drive side I assemble dry.

C R

Guru
I got the wrong size toe clips for my road bike, and was getting bad toe overlap with the mudguard in place, swapped with the smaller ones in my commuter, and no toe overlap in either bike now.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just finished building a bike for a colleague who wanted to be able to keep up whilst walking her dog in the local forest. She hasn't ridden a bike for many years so I've tried to build something fairly robust but easy to ride. I think its come out rather well, the frame is second hand but most other bits are new bargains I've picked up whilst perusing various sales or parts from my spares cupboard :laugh:

I'll drop it round tomorrow morning :okay: I'm really impressed with the brakes, front and rear hydraulic disc brakes including levers, calipers, hoses and rotors for 40 quid brand new and they weren't even on sale :laugh: They work a treat too, unbelievable value :okay: Clarkes Clout if anyone wants to try for themselves :laugh: They came pre assembled and bled but with a couple of spare olives and barbs in case you want to cut the hoses down, which I did.

Great little bike, should last her well 😄

roley poley

Über Member
Put an extra rear light holder on each bike so I can run two lights at the same time .Seemed silly to just carry a spare light in case one failed and not use it ,safer too. Checked the voltage on the batteries with a multi meter and threw the weaker away for new .The two spares I carry in my toolkit were FLAT !! Must have shorted out against the alan keys and adjustable spanner etc they roll around with :blush:the new ones have been wrapped in insulation tape...Took the top off the rubber solution for some reason and someone has drunk it while I wasn't looking!!!(evaporated) So trip to get some more of that on Sat

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Gear lever came apart on the Elephant bike so the end of the outer cable kept coming out of the housing, no good as I had a trailer of groceries to deliver today and I needed 1st gear.

Fixed it by wrapping electrical tape around the body.

Top Bottom