What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I replaced a 3mtr length of plastic gutter in the wind which was challenging as it bends like crazy when you pick it up.

New rear brake cable for the Scott. Couldn't get old ferrule out of the adjuster. Looks like I've buggered it.
Cannot find out what model of brake they are, nothing on them. Sod it. Ordered a s/h set of Br1055 105 short-drops off ebay.
Damned bike.
:sad::angry:

si_c

Guru
New rear brake cable for the Scott. Couldn't get old ferrule out of the adjuster. Looks like I've buggered it.
Cannot find out what model of brake they are, nothing on them. Sod it. Ordered a s/h set of Br1055 105 short-drops off ebay.
Damned bike.
:sad::angry:
Which brake levers do you have on there at the moment? Those brakes you've ordered are SLR brakes, modern Shimano brakes use SLR-EV which has a different cable pull amount.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I dropped the Kona off with its new owner today and left with her husbands bike to service and upgrade :laugh:

The new project is a 2013 Giant Revel 4. Ive stripped it down and will be replacing the Suntour forks with some new Rock Shox 30's and converting from V-brake to disc :okay:

For a low price bike this frame is really nice :becool: Should be a fun little project 😊

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally dug the Voodoo out of the back of the shedwhere it's been sat since the end of January. It was put away caked in mud, in need of having the gears sorting out and for a slight wobble in the rear wheel to be dealt with. Once i'd finally got the front wheel removed (bloody useless Q-Loc system stuck again) it was onto the stand and off with the derailleur so that the hangar could be given a bit of a tweek. Then off with the rear wheel and a full frame clean. Wheel & derailleur back on and a reset of the high & low screws and the cable got the gears sorted and some random tweeking of the spokes got the wheel slightly more straight. Finally a clean & lube of the chain and a 10 mile test ride to check all was well.

Still undecided as to whether to keep this or sell it - it's heavier and slower than the rigid Bootzipper on road, while only marginally more comfortable off road.

Tom B

Guru
Picked up the newly rebuilt rear wheel for my MTB from the local wheelgod. Pretty chuffed with the new superstar V6 hub. Even more chuffed with the positive effect the new hub has had on shifting, keeping the chain on and rolling resistance. Having a wheel the rocks around, tries to steer from the rear and a freewheel that rocks around mustn't be good for the transmission after all.

After taking the MTB for a spin I took the little lad out for a ride on my hybrid. Braking to a stop down a big hill the rear brake lever suddenly dropped to the bar and the brake made unhappy noises. Luckily just as I stopped.

Examination of the pads showed that the friction material had come off most of the pad.

This is the second time this has happened in about 6weeks. The supplier exchanged the last lads. But I'm now wondering if the pads are counterfeit. I've never had them fail like this before.
Might send photos to Shimano /Madison for their thoughts.

Gunk

Guru
I dropped the Kona off with its new owner today and left with her husbands bike to service and upgrade :laugh:

View attachment 527967

The new project is a 2013 Giant Revel 4. Ive stripped it down and will be replacing the Suntour forks with some new Rock Shox 30's and converting from V-brake to disc :okay:

View attachment 527969

View attachment 527968

For a low price bike this frame is really nice :becool: Should be a fun little project 😊

They’re a good bike, my son had one (looks very similar) before he upgraded to his current Trance Advanced.

2610E34A-E6A0-4E4A-A5D5-3FC4E4154CFC.jpeg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Spent a good while yesterday trying to sort out why my hub ,SRAM 746 goes tight when I fit the 12speed xd cassette.
Stripped the hub bearings ,cleaned re-greased both ok.
Ended up swapping axle from my Roval wheel and that solved it.
No idea what's going on other than a machining variable .
The dodgy axle fitted with Shimano free hub works perfectly.
But with a XD driver it goes tight.

Sadly I don't really need to buy new wheels :laugh::sad:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lots more progress over the past couple of days on the Peugeot Tourmalet I picked up a couple of weeks ago:
  • Replacement 'Aero' crankset fitted, flat pedals fitted
  • Paint (metallic black) arrived and frame/forks touched up
  • New Leechi brake levers, which came with all the cables, fitted so they match the original
  • Inner/outer gear cables fitted
  • New Mach1 CFX wheelset fitted, 7 speed cassette and used Rubino green tyres: they were the only used tyres I had available
  • Chain fitted
Just waiting on the seatpost to arrive to fit the saddle. I might also drop the stem as it's high. And short me can't reach! Then bar tape last once I'm happy with everything and it's done. I toyed with the idea of getting some celeste bar tape to match the name/logos but I've loads of black bar tape in stock so that's going on instead:

dscf6926-jpg.jpg

This won't be staying as it's a 57cm so too big, but I've saved another bike from the skip.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Got the Elvish down today as I noticed that Jockey wheels are in a state.

The Shimano wheels I have in my box of spares don’t fit and these Simplex ones seem to be like hens teeth.

so if anyone has some serviceable jockey wheels they’d like to part with please let me know.

I also need a Samir Saminox 500a complete rear wheel or a rim but the chance of finding one of those is going to be remote.

si_c

Guru
Re-wrapped the right side bar tape on the Kinesis, was starting to bunch up in places, it's quite a bit thicker than the bar tape I normally get (Lizard Skins 3.2mm) so it doesn't go on as smoothly. Much better now, I was going to do the left side as well but it is half and half bar tape and electrical tape at this point as it got badly scuffed in a crash earlier this year.

I do have some Deda tape I could put on, but I really really like the Lizard Skins tape - it's super grippy and comfortable - and the Deda feels cheap in comparison. I may do it this weekend give it a try but what's holding me back is the lack of Lizard Skins in black nationwide.

si_c

Guru
Got the Elvish down today as I noticed that Jockey wheels are in a state.

The Shimano wheels I have in my box of spares don’t fit and these Simplex ones seem to be like hens teeth.

so if anyone has some serviceable jockey wheels they’d like to part with please let me know.

I also need a Samir Saminox 500a complete rear wheel or a rim but the chance of finding one of those is going to be remote.

Why don't the Shimano ones fit?

Top Bottom