What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
@Gunk
Is this any good to you? happy to do a straight swap for that old Fireblade^_^^_^^_^ Jockey wheels are in good nick, took of a bike that had been in a garage for 30 years

20200608_171810.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
Had a mad session at the garden centre this morning. Bought a wall trough and plants to stock it

Also the following

Bag of compost
Box of Growmore plant fertiliser
Box of lawn fertiliser

Never felt so fertile

When I tottered up what i had spent I could have bought two Michelin Endurence
Tyres and an inner tube 😭😤😤🤬😡😱😱

Gunk

Guru
Why don't the Shimano ones fit?

They're completely different, the centre hole for Simplex and Suntour is a larger diameter. I'm struggling to find a set, it might end up cheaper fitting a complete used vintage Huret mech instead. I'm not paying £30 for a set of Jockey wheels for a bike that spends its life up on the top of some shelves in my garage!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Gear lever came apart on the Elephant bike so the end of the outer cable kept coming out of the housing, no good as I had a trailer of groceries to deliver today and I needed 1st gear.

Fixed it by wrapping electrical tape around the body.

The tape generally holds out a couple of days. Tried to effect a permanent repair with a cable tie but it didn't work out (with practice I bet I could make it work, but I only had one cable tie long enough). Ordered a new shifter.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Busy couple days...
I've gone back to using my B17. I discovered the nut on the tension bolt had seized and no amount of looking at it angrily would make it move. I instead used the dremel, diamond bit and 20,000rpm to grind 2 flats on the end of the bolt so I could get an adjustable spanner on to hold it still while brute force was used to free the nut. It worked. I've tightened the lacing, removed some of the hammocking and proofided it.
Both wheels have been retrued following some minor wobbliness.
Made a longer, tidier light mount for the front light. Tidied up the handlebar and fitted a Hebie steering damper.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been trying to track down an irritating but elusive ticking noise which only appears when I am giving my singlespeed bike some stick. It usually only happens when I am riding uphill. Lower pedalling forces don't cause it.

It isn't the chain - the old one snapped and the noise is still happening with the new chain.

It isn't the pedals - I swapped in another pair and the noise remained.

It isn't the seatpost/saddle - the bike is still noisy when I pedal standing up.

I am (almost) certain that the tick isn't coming from the front of the bike so it isn't the bars, stem, fork, front wheel, headset or brake hoods.

I wondered about the bottom bracket. I checked it and thought I could feel a little play. I had found a really nice newish Chorus BB in my spare parts box so I swapped that in and... it feels smoother than the old one but the noise is still there.

The freehub is next to be investigated. I found another one in the spares box so that can be substituted for the current one. The new BB is slightly shorter than the old one so my previously perfectly chainline has been lost. It isn't bad now, but I need to move the sprocket by 1 spacer to get it perfect. I can check/replace the freehub while I am at it.

PS I forgot... I went to tighten the chainring bolts and 2 of the 5 are rounded off internally so the hex key slips. I can't make sure that they are tight enough. I'll have to get them out somehow and replace them with new ones. I'll look for a screwdriver with a blade the right size that I can hammer into the holes to get a grip.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I recommissioned my ex-wife's Carrera Subway 8, which has been sitting around for a decade. In that time she's been remarried and separated again :blink:

These things are not easy to work on, with very unusual components, and most bike shops would struggle even to remove the wheels. Roller brakes and a Nexus 8-speed hub. The hub wouldn't shift to the lowest 4 gears but it was just a sticky cable and cassette joint, thank goodness. Cleaned both up and the gears are nice and snappy again. Pumped a bit of the special grease into the roller brakes and cleaned their cables too. The only parts I actually changed were the inner tubes (I injected Slime too) and some rusty M5 bolts. After a good clean, it's as good as new.

I put the seat up and rode it back round there. The kevlar-belted tyres make it hard work but it needs all the help it can get on Swindon psyclepaths, which are liberally glassed by the local mouth-breathing yoof.

Top Bottom