What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Sufferfest @JhnBssll been thinking about that be interesting to see what you think.

I'll let you know when I've tried it, people keep telling me good things about it but the name alone is enough to put me off :laugh::laugh:

Had a further fettle today after collecting a new chain and a couple of new inner gear cables from the lbs :okay: The turbo bike is now all back together and functioning rather nicely again 😊 I've tweaked the saddle position slightly since the bars have been raised, looking forward to trying it out later ^_^

In other exciting news the bits arrived in the post for my mudguard project so I've had a play with that too 😄 Here are the little mounts I was waiting for...

They suit tubes from 10 to 34.9mm diameter and varying cross sections so figured they were worth a try.

They seem to do the job perfectly, I'll have to monitor them in use to check they don't slacken off through vibration etc but I think they'll be up to the task :okay:

With that little problem solved I did some more trimming of the front guard then trimmed the stays to length - very pleased with the result. I also popped the rear guard back on to get a feel for the finished effect 😊

I think it looks rather smart ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having collected a NeilPryde Nazare on Sunday I got to looking at it today. Now I knew it wasn't clean from when I picked it up and was unable to test-ride due to a rusted chain but ... it was covered in filth and glue residue. The previous owner's now disabled so they're excused for not cleaning but it was clearly missing even regular basic maintenance. This is the seller's photo and I'll add mine once more work is done:

s-l1600-jpg.jpg

So ... I removed the old chain and cleaned. Still cleaning. Pedals are off along with the lights / light brackets and saddle bag. The seller gave me parts, tools and clothes which I appreciate given this needs quite a bit of work. Many of the clothes are off tomorrow to be passed onto others as they won't fit me.

Lots still to do over the next few days:

- Wheels / mudguards and other parts to come off for deep cleaning
- New tyres needed as the current ones are badly cracked
- Different saddle as the one on there's got a bit of damage
- Crankset to be swapped for a 52/36 Shimano one, with PF30 adapters to go on
- New cables will probably be needed
- New chain required
- Full lubrication needed
- Bars / stem to be lowered and we might fit a different stem

Once all that's done, hopefully by the weekend, it's going on our Zwift set-up for us to use in the new Zwift Racing League.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Tried to fit a Chorus 9 speed Cassette on a later Eurus wheel (for my turbo trainer build) which uses the Campag/Fulcrum freehub, bloody nightmare, only Campag make lockrings with different sized threads. So none of mine fitted. Anyway after some research I found that part number R1-023 fits with a 12T small cog and one was on eBay for £12.95 so a result!

I've built a few bikes up from scratch and it is a slow painful experience, nothing you have in the shed fits and when you add up all the additional odds and sods it's always cheaper just to buy a complete used bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'll let you know when I've tried it, people keep telling me good things about it but the name alone is enough to put me off :laugh::laugh:

Had a further fettle today after collecting a new chain and a couple of new inner gear cables from the lbs :okay: The turbo bike is now all back together and functioning rather nicely again 😊 I've tweaked the saddle position slightly since the bars have been raised, looking forward to trying it out later ^_^

View attachment 552222

In other exciting news the bits arrived in the post for my mudguard project so I've had a play with that too 😄 Here are the little mounts I was waiting for...

View attachment 552223

They suit tubes from 10 to 34.9mm diameter and varying cross sections so figured they were worth a try.

View attachment 552224

They seem to do the job perfectly, I'll have to monitor them in use to check they don't slacken off through vibration etc but I think they'll be up to the task :okay:

With that little problem solved I did some more trimming of the front guard then trimmed the stays to length - very pleased with the result. I also popped the rear guard back on to get a feel for the finished effect 😊

View attachment 552226

View attachment 552227

View attachment 552225

I think it looks rather smart ^_^

Let me know how the mini fix work out. I currently have some pdw fixings for my stays but they mount via QR and are a pain when removing front wheel as it requires fully removing the QR.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Continued on the NeilPryde Nazare I bought last weekend:
  • Removed the pedals and FSA Gossamer crankset. Took out the BB30 caps and cleaned/greased everything.
  • Added some BB30/Shimano adaptors. The replacement Shimano crankset needs spacers so that'll be tomorrow.
  • Cleaned the front and rear derailleurs; almost a full dismantling. The bike seems to have gone through a tar-like substance and then been stored. They were coated in it so took some cleaning and then greasing.
  • Continued cleaning the tar off the underside of the frame. That's all done.
  • Removed the brakes and the mudguard adaptors. The brake pads are on the wrong way round so removed them for better pads (still to do)
  • Cleaned the tar-like splatters from the front and rear wheels plus hubs.
Tomorrow I'll fit the crankset and adjust the front derailleur up. The cable bolt's seized so that's soaking overnight.
Then it'll be adjusting the shifters to fit better, lowering the bars and possibly a better stem, swapping the saddle and fitting a new chain. Probably Friday/Saturday for some of those.

One thing I've learnt from this: tar is a good frame protector. It's also a pain to get off. The rear derailleur was stuck; I wonder whether the seller struggled to ride their NeilPryde partly because everything was just gummed up and they couldn't turn the pedals?

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
I am currently fettling a Class 159 DMU Hydrostatic system in Salisbury ..... which is nice .....

Last edited:
Diesel Multiple Unit. Each carriage has its own engine, allowing for self rescue and independent operation, if a single engine fails the hotel power for the carriage can be provided from the operating units.
Yep, but diesel-mechanical or diesel-electric was what I meant.:smile:
I can still remember diesel-mechanical DMUs powered by AEC Regent bus engines...and those are tough enough to probably still be going!

Landsurfer

Veteran
Yep, but diesel-mechanical or diesel-electric was what I meant.:smile:
I can still remember diesel-mechanical DMUs powered by AEC Regent bus engines...and those are tough enough to probably still be going!
Diesel electric passenger trains are called DEMU's, Voyager is a prime example ..19ltr Cummins Diesel engine, driving alternator, which drives DC traction motor ...in the carriage.... which drives the traction bogie gearbox via a shaft .... less than simple !!!
But super efficient ... at 125mph on a 4 car unit only 1 or 2 engines will actually be above idle speed..

Top Bottom