What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Given the bike a wash......in storm Alex.

Gunk

Guru
I applied my restoration skills to our kettle this afternoon

Before

After

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Finally got the [stainless steel] bike rack that I've been meaning to get for the last 30 years... will be bolting it to the concrete tomorrow! That'll hopefully fettle any would-be theft attempts and tidy things up a lot.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Partially successful fettling yesterday. As has been mentioned elsewhere, @gavgav has a new bike so I was recruited to fit the new set of SKS mudguards. We started with the rear one which after some faffing about clearly was not going to fit straight due to being pushed out of line by the front derailleur clamp. We were right on the verge of giving up when I thought of trying again with a spacer added like I had to on my Raleigh and it works nicely.

Unfortunately when it came to the front mudguard we had less luck. The clearances are simply too tight for it to fit with the supplied gravel tyres. Gav was planning to change to more road/touring oriented ones at some point anyway so this has just brought that purchase forward and we'll have another go when the new ones come. The bike is useable in the meantime but looks odd.;)

Today's fettling has been less complicated; after my second home-made lamp bracket failed on the knockabout bike earlier in the year I hadn't got round to making a replacement yet. I've gone for a much simpler bracket this time that just clamps round one of the rack uprights (instead of being mudguard mounted) which I hope will be more robust.

While working on the bike I noticed that one of my brakes was a little slow to release so I've cleaned and regreased all the pivots.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'll be fixing a puncture later after washing the mud off the bike. I'm expecting a double flat with the pesky farmer cutting hawthorns on my route today. :whistle:
You aren't the only one. I had to do a roadside repair last time out. Bloody cuttings.:sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

Having had problems with the rear mudguard on my Eastway, I put new wheels on it a few weeks ago and since then I've been having problems with the mudguard rubbing, theres not a lot of room under the brake bridge, and every time I fixed it the problem came back. So I got a set of SKS Raceblade's from Tredz. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Raceblade-Long-Mudguard-Set_89347.htm
Taking them out of the packet they looked like a chinese puzle, but they clipped together and fitted without major problems, they're not a full mudguard, protecting behind the brake bridge but not in front, they stop the brown streak up the back and protect the rider behind but not the bottom bracket area, theres only a six inch length in front of the brake bridge. So as I didn't need the front mudguard, the current one works well, I modified the front mudguard and fitted it to the back to turn the mudguard into a full one, it needs a little bit of fettling but I've got no rub now. The only other problem is that they are designed to fit on the axle not on mudguard eye so the stays are too long, something I'll look at later.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having had problems with the rear mudguard on my Eastway, I put new wheels on it a few weeks ago and since then I've been having problems with the mudguard rubbing, theres not a lot of room under the brake bridge, and every time I fixed it the problem came back. So I got a set of SKS Raceblade's from Tredz. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Raceblade-Long-Mudguard-Set_89347.htm
Taking them out of the packet they looked like a chinese puzle, but they clipped together and fitted without major problems, they're not a full mudguard, protecting behind the brake bridge but not in front, they stop the brown streak up the back and protect the rider behind but not the bottom bracket area, theres only a six inch length in front of the brake bridge. So as I didn't need the front mudguard, the current one works well, I modified the front mudguard and fitted it to the back to turn the mudguard into a full one, it needs a little bit of fettling but I've got no rub now. The only other problem is that they are designed to fit on the axle not on mudguard eye so the stays are too long, something I'll look at later.

View attachment 550871

View attachment 550870
@dave r The silver 'L' shaped clips you've mounted at the dropouts (rack mounting point?) are supposed to be fitted with the QR skewer going through where you've put the bolt and should be fitted the other way round - see below from my Van Nic commuter. It'll make the guards a much closer fit.
IMG_20201005_222450973.jpg
IMG_20201005_222429469.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

@dave r The silver 'L' shaped clips you've mounted at the dropouts (rack mounting point?) are supposed to be fitted with the QR skewer going through where you've put the bolt and should be fitted the other way round - see below from my Van Nic commuter. It'll make the guards a much closer fit.
View attachment 550888 View attachment 550889

I have mudguard eyes on my Eastway, thats what I've mounted the silver brackets on, I'm aware the brackets are designed to go on the quick release but I don't want to put anything on the quick release.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Full day of bike fettling today
'Best' Van Nicholas & Planet X: Full clean & lube of the chains and a quick frame wipe down as dry use only.
Pickenflick: Full chain clean & lube, frame wipedown and clean the wheels
Giant flatbar & Bootzipper: Full chain clean & lube, plus washing down the frame & wheels thanks to recent muddy & off road rides.
Spa Elan: Full chain clean & lube, washing down the frame & wheels after recent wet rides, fix a puncture in the front tube (only noticed when getting the bike out of the shed), treat the frame to a polish with Autoglym.
Commuter Van Nicholas. Major refresh of the drivetrain and replacement of the rear brake calipers - see the picture below for the bits replaced - plus rear tyre replaced. Also washed down the frame and polished it with Autoglym while the parts were off.
IMG_20201005_183124382.jpg

The chain & cassette (yes it was silver originally) will be cleaned off tomorrow just to see exactly how much wear has been inflicted. Also the drive side of the BB was still quite smooth, but the non-drive side was horribly rough. These parts were fitted at the end of December 2018 and have done just over 4500 miles in all weathers.
With any luck, I'll also get round to replacing the bars on the commuter Van Nic as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As a follow up to the above, this morning I did replace the bars on the commuter Van Nic, added new tape (which is redder than in the pic below) and took it for a couple of trips round the close to fine tune the position. How it looks now (until the first wet commute next week!)
Van Nicholas Commuter - Updated October 2020.jpg

Now to show what damage using a single chain & cassette for 4500 miles can do, while spending the vast majority of the time using just two gears. Firstly, the chain - a SRAM PC1031 - not the best pic, but you can see that over a 12 link run the 'stretch' is somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8 of an inch
Chain wear measurement.jpg

The cassette was a SRAM PG1050 12-25, but I spend almost the whole time on the 16 or 15 tooth sprockets, so the picture below shows from L to R the 17, 16, 15 & 14 tooth ones. No wonder the chain had started to skip under load on the 16!
Cassette wear (2).jpg

Top Bottom