What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I and the seller were able to budge the stuck seat post on this black chrome 1986 Schwinn Sierra , so I bought it, and finished the seat post work when I got home. I took the bicycle for a ride, and all the rest of the functions seem to be getting along just fine. I do plan to find some contemporary parts to fix up the tired shifters and wrong drive train components. It is a great bike as it is now, and at 22.5 inches, is tall enough for me, yet short enough for off-roading and trail riding on dirt trails and tracks.
1601207227593.png

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Stripped down the Eddy Merckx Strada OS for respraying. It's only been built up for a couple of months so this wasn't hard...except the Italian BB fixed cup, which I'd put in very tight and with medium threadlock. Having experienced how difficult it was to remove, I have no fear of one loosening on a ride now.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got my Bianchi Squadra on the road today. I had to straighten the frame and find new forks as the old ones were toast from an accident the previous owner had. They pulled hard to the left, and until I build my fork straightening device, the unicrown fork from a Raleigh Technium Citysport will suffice quite well. The ride from this bicycle is fantastic, even with the impromptu fork. I think the original fork was also Cr-Mo. All the old Shimano 600 has wound up on this bicycle as I plan to modernize my Trek Elance 400. For some reason, Bianchi used Shimano 600 for this bicycle, and it works a treat.

si_c

Guru
Changed the seatpost binder on the Domane - even torqued to the max the seatpost was sliding down a tad. Sorted now.

Also removed two full links from the Racelight as I'm not fitting more than a 30t cassette to it any time soon so don't need the excess and then dropped the handlebar height by 5mm. Went out for a ride to see how much of a change it made, but it's still feeling slightly compressed at the front and longer rides are giving me a bit of lower back pain so got a slightly longer stem to stretch my back out a touch.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Fixed the temperamental i-stop in the Mazda 6. It has a habit of thinking the battery isn't charged, when it is actually full. The remedy (if you're sure the battery really is charged) is to disconnect the negative lead for half an hour. This makes stop-start work for months before it goes into another sulk.

It seems to be precipitated by low use and gets upset if there is even slight self-discharge. Once or twice a week is not what the designers had in mind.

The benefit of all this technology? It informed me that, in 2.5 years, I've saved enough petrol, by not idling, to cover 20 miles. That's nearly £1.70!

si_c

Guru
Hosed the racelight down after today's ride in the pissing rain. Then gave everything a good wipe down.

Wet lube is definitely the go to for the rest of the year by the looks of it.

Ok, not a fettle yet, but a preliminary pre-fettle reseach session - making sure the part number if the auto gear selector on my car matches the one on ebay. The car has recently decided that IT will decide which gears to play with...
The fettle will be awful, despite the fact it can be done entirely inside the car.
:sad:
Here's the replacement part.

It means removing the centre console, which in my case contains all sorts of Bluetooth gubbins. Not fun. Then remove and replace the selector itself, without dropping the link to the transmission. I am prepared for that with the proverbial wire coathanger...
Not only should this fix the oddball behaviour, it might just get me brake hold back again.
Here's hoping...

Here's the replacement part.
View attachment 550185

It means removing the centre console, which in my case contains all sorts of Bluetooth gubbins. Not fun. Then remove and replace the selector itself, without dropping the link to the transmission. I am prepared for that with the proverbial wire coathanger...
Not only should this fix the oddball behaviour, it might just get me brake hold back again.
Here's hoping...
Done. P6 made it straightforward (Proper Planning etc, something I'm not generally too good at!).

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance ^_^

Exactly, and for once, I read and re-read the instructions, figured out tool needs, and managed it in approximately the time the workshop manual states. Interesting also to discover just how much plastic is used to build even once-experience cars.
Not that I paid a lot. Bangernomics working quite well so far!

Exactly, and for once, I read and re-read the instructions, figured out tool needs, and managed it in approximately the time the workshop manual states. Interesting also to discover just how much plastic is used to build even once-experience cars.
Not that I paid a lot. Bangernomics working quite well so far!

I'm assuming you mean once-expensive rather than once-experience... ;)

Top Bottom