What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So the Spring fettling on the Kona continues. I needed a new bottom bracket and chain. Whilst I was there I also decided to fit a smaller 32tooth chainring on the front, a job I've been meaning to do for a while. So after work today this little package of bits was waiting for me.

The existing bottom bracket is a Race Face one and looking around at alternatives I found that a Shimano XT one would fit the bill nicely. Except when it arrived, I noticed a problem straight away, it was far too small. Lots of cursing followed by checking online, everything should be right, but it was demonstrably smaller than the one I had. You can see the problem when compared to the standard Hollowtech spanner:

Then ratcheting through the box, I discovered a plastic widget thingy and the penny dropped, clever Mr Shimano had included an adapter for my spanner so I could fit it. Apparently this is some new advancement, shrinking the bearing sizes so they wear out quicker and leave you out of pocket sooner!

With the drama of the BB sorted, it was onto the crankset. It's a lovely light design, closely resembling an Octalink fitment, frustratingly my old Square taper remover won't remove Octalink, so I had to buy a new crank puller. The crank came off easily enough, and on the back is a small lockring holding the chain ring on. The lock ring is removed with a Square taper bottom bracket removal tool. All very neat and no crank bolts in sight.

With the chainring on, I re-assembled it and then cut the new chain to length. With everything back together I must admit I really like the new smaller black BB cups. I'm not normally to obsessive about colour co-ordination, but these small cups set against the rest of the black transmission looks really nice, so much better than those large silver cups on before.

Pleased with the way it's all turned out and it rides so much smoother than before.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Flat tyre on the community allotment wheelbarrow. Tried putting some air in it with the track pump- no luck.

Then investigated and found it was tubeless, and it was hard to get a seal around the edge. Wrapped a luggage strap around the tyre to squash the bead against the wheel and had another go. No luck.

Decided to put a tube in it instead. Tried to inflate the tube only to realise that there was no air coming out of the Schrader end of the track pump.

Going to be dark soon, can't be arsed to see if I can find a Schrader adaptor in the shed.

This is the typical trajectory of most of my fettling.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Flat tyre on the community allotment wheelbarrow. Tried putting some air in it with the track pump- no luck.

Then investigated and found it was tubeless, and it was hard to get a seal around the edge. Wrapped a luggage strap around the tyre to squash the bead against the wheel and had another go. No luck.

Decided to put a tube in it instead. Tried to inflate the tube only to realise that there was no air coming out of the Schrader end of the track pump.

Going to be dark soon, can't be arsed to see if I can find a Schrader adaptor in the shed.

Yes! was tidying the toolbox and found it! so now I have got the tube in and- after considerable wrestling- got the tyre back on the wheel. Got air in it, ready to re-attach.

I expect the Schrader adaptor I ordered from eBay will turn up tomorrow.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Nothing major. The Campagnolo 1.1mm cable I ordered arrived yesterday which I need for my Shimano Claris LH shifter (it makes no sense to me either) and has fitted perfectly first go.

I‘ve also put off-road tyres on my and my daughter’s bikes ready for a ride tomorrow now that they are off school. Son’s bike is already ready.

Oh, and I’ve also swapped the batteries in my speed and cadence sensors (CR2032 if you’re interested) as they were dead on my last ride.

Ghost66x

Regular
Made a post at Cyclechat.net

1 replied. Thanks guys.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Made a post at Cyclechat.net

1 replied. Thanks guys.

I read your post but didn't have anything to add to Cyclops' fairly thorough reply. Perhaps now you've responded with a little more info you'll get some more help :okay: The bike looks ace, definitely worth saving - can't help but think you'll need to use period second hand parts though as compatibility is generally rubbish between the current stuff and older bikes :sad:

I had a quick unplanned fettle of the Bianchi this evening - went to check the Di2 battery charge by quickly connecting with the phone app - this is the easiest way whilst it's hanging up on the office wall. At least that was the plan. First the phone app updated itself, and then it decided I had a firmware update due which I figured I may as well do too. Of course it crashed halfway and bricked the wireless unit didn't it :laugh: Down came the bike, down the stairs and over to the garage to connect to the PC via USB to recover the firmware. I connected it up and, guess what, the PC app was out of date and needed updating :rolleyes: 10 minutes later it had done its thing so I whipped the seatpost out and disconnected the battery to reset the Di2 then connected it up. It immediately told me the firmware was bricked (as if I didn't already know :laugh:) and restored it for me. The new version of software seems much prettier than the one it replaced but no more user friendly - its almost as if Shimano don't want people using it :rolleyes: Anyway, all back up and running now ready for a ride to see the inlaws in their garden after work, which will be weird after so long of seeing nobody but the wife :laugh: Which reminds me, I should really make plans to see my own parents since I've only seen them about 4 times in 9 months, and two of those were at funerals :laugh:

C R

Guru
There was a lot of creaking from the stem area in my road bike, which several rounds of cleaning retightening wouldn't fix. Finally I decided to go for the nuclear option of dropping out the forks and clean the headset too. I had been reluctant to do it as I hadn't adjusted an A headset before, but it was really easy, and all quiet now. I also moved the stem down by one spacer while I was there.

Now the barstard SPD's are creaking, argh!

D

Deleted member 1258

There was a lot of creaking from the stem area in my road bike, which several rounds of cleaning retightening wouldn't fix. Finally I decided to go for the nuclear option of dropping out the forks and clean the headset too. I had been reluctant to do it as I hadn't adjusted an A headset before, but it was really easy, and all quiet now. I also moved the stem down by one spacer while I was there.

Now the barstard SPD's are creaking, argh!

Are you sure it wasn't the SPD's all along?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep, the loud creak at the front is gone, and it was reproducible leaning side to side on the bars on the floor, without being on the pedals. The SPD creak is much quieter, but now that the front is quiet it has started to annoy me.

You often get a build up of black aluminium deposits on the steerer, usually around where the split washer is that pre-loads the bearing. Used to happen fairly regular on my commuter road bike. Bit of wet and dry to clean up, re-grease and it's OK for some months.

Top Bottom