What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bits setting up for son's team training weekend (Sat/Sun) and a TT for him on Monday:

- His BeOne training bike cleaned and adjusted by him. All working for tomorrow with a new GP5000 front tyre.
- The planned Superstar Components spare wheels had bearings seized from salt/water on his winter bike so I've got the bearings out and on order. Winter cassette cleaned xx(
- Cassette onto a pair of Shimano RS wheels as spares, into a bag for the team car
- His Argon TT bike still kept moving the rear wheel despite a new rear disc, new tyre, new rear brakes. A lesson: if you've checked everything else, check the skewer. New skewer and it's sorted.
- Latex tube into the front TT wheel for my Principa as I've been accepted onto a TT on the 11th :ohmy:

JPBoothy

Veteran
A bit of post Friday fettle advise needed if you would be so kind nice people.. Yesterday, I finally got around to fitting my new FSA 36t 10spd Inner chainring on my Cannondale CAADX but I noticed during my ride today that there was a bit of intermittent chain slipping so I ended up riding home in my 46t large ring. As everything worked fine before then the problem is definitely caused by the new chainring. The only thing that struck me as unusual was that the new part had the appearance of being an outer ring as it was nicely painted with the FSA branding and had a nice paint finish with polished metal cut-outs as opposed to the more 'industrial' looking inner chainring that it replaced. It also felt a bit more lightweight and thinner too. Any ideas/suggestions? Could it actually be an outer ring even though it is only 36t?

JPBoothy

Veteran
The original was stamped as WB078 36t 2H/Y, the new replacement is stamped as WB200 36t 2F/Y, and to complicate matters further the 36t ring on my other CAADX is stamped as WB308 36t 22157.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Spotted a busted MTB wheel in the skip at work this week, so I dived in and fished it out. The wheel was toast but the Schwalbe tyre on it looked more promising so I pulled it off the rim and ditched the wheel back where it came.
Had a spare half hour to kill today waiting on an eBay item, so I checked over the tyre, a 26" x 1.75" Silento, and deemed it serviceable. Put a known good street find inner tube inside and fitted it to a spare front wheel. Swapped wheel for the knobbly-shod one on my Raleigh Highlander MTB.
Had a result with eBay, so in a good mood I decided to go for an hour test ride staying fairly local to make sure the tyre held up - which it did. That bike is getting spendy, it owes me £24 in total over three years. Mind you, it's running on Schwalbes front and rear now, and the back one was £2 used so I suppose it isn't that extravagant! :laugh:

Chislenko

Veteran
Post winter stripdown, clean and maintenance today of winter bike.

First job....order a new chain...oops.

Chislenko

Veteran
Today, mostly I made a wheel trueing stand from an old set of forks and other assorted stuff I had in the shed. It's only good for 700 wheels but as all my bikes are 700 not a problem.
View attachment 578743

View attachment 578744

Had to enlarge one of the holes in the workmate to take the steerer tube but works a treat.

Update, before anybody wastes their time doing this, today I found the Achilles heel with this project .. .

It's only good for front wheels!!!!! Obviously wider rear axles won't go in front drop outs!!!!

Rather annoyingly have just thrown out a rear triangle which I could have made another one out of for rear wheels.

As Delboy would say "what a plonker"

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What's wrong with that chain? I'd use it some more. It still looks chain-shaped to me....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I debated whether this was 'fettling' then thought "I'll post it anyway". Son no. 2 helped with myself - one armed - and about 12 others with the track cleaning at Quibell Park, Sunthorpe for track racing:

PXL_20210328_145246150.jpg

With two winters and no use last summer it's taken two weekends of scraping and sweeping to get the track ready. We could only help on one of the days, but it's almost ready for racing to resume in 2021, which we hope it does.

If anyone wants a go, have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/scunnytrackleague

Other velodromes are also getting ready with similar cleaning. Newcastle-under-Lyme's gone further and is even putting new boards up :notworthy:

D

Deleted member 1258

Out on my bike this morning and the front hub was grumbling all the time I was out, I looked at it after lunch and it was rougher than a badgers a**e, so I spent time this afternoon giving the hub a clean and regrease, black grease in one side, no grease in the other side with discoloured but still shiny balls. I'm not sure what was going on, I brought the wheel last summer and cleaned and greased it before I put it on the bike. I checked the back wheel and the hub is still running as sweet as a nut., the front is as well now I've sorted it.

C R

Guru
Laughing aside, I hate using either gt85 or wd40, I have a dull low intensity headache for a couple of days every time I use them, even if I wear a mask. Even the smell of it on the bike afterwards can make me nauseous. Am I the only one?

Top Bottom