What Have You Fettled Today?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@Jenkins could you not sand down that carcass and take off the sharp bits?
Possibly, but it's still a weak spot and I'm surprised that a small flint could cut the threads that easily. I've already fitted a part used GP4000 SII in its place

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
After receiving my cleaning kit order from Bike 24, I cleaned my son’s S-Works drivetrain first and then the remainder of the bike - the drivetrain was really dirty and he got stuck in too which was nice to see - he’s only 11. It has white bar tape and saddle and it’s so difficult to remember not to touch either during cleaning - I’ll stick to black on my bike when it eventually arrives :rolleyes:
First time using a ‘chain cleaner’ device with a reservoir of cleaning fluid and various brushes inside - fantastic bit of kit - the chain was sparkling when we’d finished , rinsed and re-applied lubricant.

Scott: fitted the replacement tyre. Then decided to remove the front derailleur and give it a thorough clean and lube.
It's still very difficult to get it to the big ring, on the stand anyhow. Will ride and see what happens.

Revell: more messing with the rear brakes. It occurs to me that I cannot preserve that undercurved cable run using dual pivots of any kind, because you can't reverse the adjuster and the pinch bolt as you can with these old Weinmanns. Somewhere in the spares box is a pair of Clarks MTB blocks for V-brakes. Will attempt to fit those during the next fettling session.

Gratuitous pic of the Revell with guards removed.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tyre onto a second-hand carbon front wheel we'll use as a spare for my son's training bike. He's being moved onto carbon wheels from the Superstar Components ones he's used for about 4 years.

And bearings into his winter set of Superstar wheels. A winter's hammering in all weathers has turned the bearings gritty.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
Laughing aside, I hate using either gt85 or wd40, I have a dull low intensity headache for a couple of days every time I use them, even if I wear a mask. Even the smell of it on the bike afterwards can make me nauseous. Am I the only one?
You must be over-sensitive. The only solvent that has any adverse effect on me is if I wipe stuff down with Xylene paint thinners for a prolonged period in a poorly ventilated area. That stuff will get you high and give you a bad head. So would the Trico 1.1.1. that I used to use at work 30+ years ago. Nothing else bothers me.

jowwy

Guru
You must be over-sensitive. The only solvent that has any adverse effect on me is if I wipe stuff down with Xylene paint thinners for a prolonged period in a poorly ventilated area. That stuff will get you high and give you a bad head. So would the Trico 1.1.1. that I used to use at work 30+ years ago. Nothing else bothers me.
Spending money bothers you........thats a given

Mike_P

Guru
Back last autumn I commented on a broken valve to a Joe No Flats inner tube on my hybrid. It had one outing later in the year, when I could not that morning be bothered to fix a flat on the road bike, and the tyre pressure still seemed okay but over winter it had depressurised somewhat so a new Joe No Flats inner tube acquired and this afternoon I plucked up courage to tackle the matter. Turned out not be a shower of sealant and the old tube was fully deflated by gripping its valve in a pair of end cutters and twisting it until something gave. Thankfully the inner tube came cleanly out of the tyre; I have one in the past that had sealed itself to the tyre meaning a new tyre needed as well. New one fitted although getting the tyre on needed added strength from a mug of tea and a hot cross bun.

Both the Scott and the Revell on the stand today.
First the big job, the front mech on the Scott. After much cursing and much study of the Park Tools Blue Book, I've got it working. Took over an hour...
Second, replace the Koolstop Salmon Classics on the rear of the Revell mixte with a set of generic MTB blocks, Clarks, I think. After cleaning the rims YET AGAIN. It seems to have made A difference, but I'm too tired now to take either for a blast to see if all this work has actually achieved anything...
:tired:

Gunk

Veteran
I connected up a lead and socket to the power lead of my TomTom Rider so it can be plugged straight into the loom of my new BMW motorcycle. It allows the sat nav to be powered on and off with the ignition and avoids the need to connect it directly to the battery, so a nice elegant solution. Unfortunately my soldering was not particularly elegant, but it should all work.

image.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
After receiving my cleaning kit order from Bike 24, I cleaned my son’s S-Works drivetrain first and then the remainder of the bike - the drivetrain was really dirty and he got stuck in too which was nice to see - he’s only 11. It has white bar tape and saddle and it’s so difficult to remember not to touch either during cleaning - I’ll stick to black on my bike when it eventually arrives :rolleyes:
First time using a ‘chain cleaner’ device with a reservoir of cleaning fluid and various brushes inside - fantastic bit of kit - the chain was sparkling when we’d finished , rinsed and re-applied lubricant.

I’ve been thinking about getting one of those chain cleaning tools What make did you get?

bikingdad90

Veteran
If not a chain cleaner has anyone used the Tru tension kits? The videos look cool especially the degreaser but dubious of how effective it really would be as it goes from greasy to shiny with a spray only.

Top Bottom