What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had my mates daughters bike back on the stand this evening. It had taken another whack to the rear mech :laugh: I had already straightened the mech and hanger once before so was a bit concerned when I found the hanger looked like this...

Fortunately I was able to gently tweak it back straight but I wouldn't want to try it again 😋 The mech was wrecked so that has gone in the bin and a replacement Tourney mech has gone on in its place. All adjusted and ready to collect tomorrow now 😊

I had my mates daughters bike back on the stand this evening. It had taken another whack to the rear mech :laugh: I had already straightened the mech and hanger once before so was a bit concerned when I found the hanger looked like this...

View attachment 584304

Fortunately I was able to gently tweak it back straight but I wouldn't want to try it again 😋 The mech was wrecked so that has gone in the bin and a replacement Tourney mech has gone on in its place. All adjusted and ready to collect tomorrow now 😊

View attachment 584305

Maybe a bash guard for the rear mech might be a good thing, I'd imagine... ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A friend recommended me when his next door neighbour had a problem with a bike he'd been given so I took a look on Saturday.

The bike was a basic Trax full suspension, so very low end, and once the front derailleur and the brakes had been tweaked the real problem was the cheap copy of a Shimano Tourney that had been put on the rear. The one fitted was pretty much impossible to index due to the amount of play in the pivots but the chap had bought a couple of them and the other one was better. The design meant that the body didn't pivot correctly but a thin washer corrected that and it now has all gears available. The guy who owns the bike had convinced himself that nobody would be able to fix it - it was very nice to prove him wrong and the bottle of home-brewed wine I got for my trouble wasn't bad. ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New UN-300 fitted to the old MTB - slight change in construction as the non-drive side bearing seems to be stuck on to the casing, rather than being part of it. The locking cup also has an additional bearing seal on it too. Previously, the bearings were inside the casing.

And yes, you're right. The new rings don't shift properly because there's no ramps and pins on them, causing the need for too much pull to successfully change. Back to the old ones this morning...
Actually, there are ramps and pins, but different to the original set. Original 52-42-30 refitted, and easier to fettle, by a long way. Off to ride it!

I took apart, cleaned and greased the pivot point on the rear v brake of my TT bike as it has been lightly rubbing. It was actually quite clean and moving smoothly enough. There is either a fraction too much resistance in the internally routed cable which goes an indirect route (via the bb and up the seat tube) or a fraction of play in the brake lever stopping it springing back automatically. If you manually spring the brake lever back which seems to be loose enough the v brake lever moves 0.2mm more and there is no rub 🤔

I took apart, cleaned and greased the pivot point on the rear v brake of my TT bike as it has been lightly rubbing. It was actually quite clean and moving smoothly enough. There is either a fraction too much resistance in the internally routed cable which goes an indirect route (via the bb and up the seat tube) or a fraction of play in the brake lever stopping it springing back automatically. If you manually spring the brake lever back which seems to be loose enough the v brake lever moves 0.2mm more and there is no rub 🤔

Lubed as much cable as I could expose, put a 0.2mm spacer on the brake bolt and it seems to have got me the marginal more play I needed 🤔

Top Bottom