What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And some more today, with a major Besta suspended cupboards installation in the lounge. After much swearing and cussing, three out of five shells mounted. Now completely knackered. And much more to do to complete it, plus fit lights at some point too.
I can't really complain, three of the fairly large cupboards are for me to hide my computery junk in!

I'm happy that the whole thing sits on that six-inch shelf, I like the insurance...
:whistle:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
This happened to my Kinesis Race Light T2.

20211124_113157[1].jpg

It's been wobbly for a while but luckily it snapped when I was taking it out of the garage. Would have been a real PITA if it had happened a long way from home as there's not a chance of getting it out.

This has been my workhorse bike for a long time. I've done some real epics on it including an 1100 mile C2C from the
Pacific to the Atlantic in South America and a Super Randonneur series. I'm not sentimentally attached to it but it's the most comfortable aluminium bike I've owned and I'd like to keep it. Over the years everything on it except the brake calipers have been replaced and now it was time to find a new frame.

Luckily I know someone who knows someone who is slightly taller than me, who has recently given up cycling and who has a Kinesis Race Light T2 frame for sale.

So now this:

KinesisLongtown.jpg

Has become this:

KinesisButtermere.jpg

Meet the new bike; same as the old bike. All the parts from the original T2 frame are now on the new (second hand) T2 frame along with a new seat pin. It's just as comfortable as the original. Like Grandad's axe which had two new heads and three new shafts but was still Grandad's axe this still feels like my old bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another job helping two local lads who I'd previously patched up their full squisher BSO. The bearing for the rear suspension was shot and wobbling around making the bike unrideable. I took it my local repairer who got it welded up. Needed a new tyre and front brake connecting up.

This time I met them by chance with a bashed front rim. What happened I asked. 'A car hit it' one of them replied. Don't know how that can of happened but I took them too nearby repairer.

It turned out the tube was knackered too. The rim had also managed to spoil the front brake. Anyway he had a old wheel, rather rusty which he fitted. Can't claim any fettling I'm afraid.

Here's the repairer's son fitting the tyre and tube.
I left them with their repaired bike and strict instructions not to take it near any cars.
They were very grateful.

Last edited:
I finally went on holiday a week back and I got round to rebuilding the road bike which was in a bike box (I had used the gravel bike in the interim). At the same time I rebuilt it with SKS Raceblade Long Mk II mudguards. I was going to put the winter wheels on but I decided to leave that for another night (they need fresh sealant and I'd have to swap cassettes or get a new chain/cassette).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Front brake- new brake pads and cable for the commuter, plus cleaned front rim and lubed chain. Only commenting because I had the sensible idea to do it at work so I could be warm and dry while doing so.

Front brake- new brake pads and cable for the commuter, plus cleaned front rim and lubed chain. Only commenting because I had the sensible idea to do it at work so I could be warm and dry while doing so.
Hours lunch break? I’d only have time for pads and cable in my 30mins.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Hours lunch break? I’d only have time for pads and cable in my 30mins.

Yes- I get an hour if I want (I don't always take the whole hour- depends what I'm up to). During Covid there are no managers about (except me!) so as long as I get my stuff done I can do a bit of tinkering. That said it only took about 30 mins, my chain lubing routine doesn't take long.

Well that was a mistake. I got the winter wheels out seated the tubeless tyres instantly no mess. I then picked up the rear which was making a swishing sound. Which I decided was too loud. Perhaps it was a bit of old sealant :scratch:So I unseated it poured out the sealant (a bit of a mess) to discover the tire/ rim bed is clean and the swishing noise is deep in rim body somewhere in the spoke holes :scratch:I can't get it to seat now which is messy. I've left it for a bit and I'll try again with the air tank or I'll try later with a CO2 can. If it seats I'll put up with the swish for now and fix it later when I have more space. If it doesn't seat it's a trip to a lbs for rim tape and more sealant and I'll try to find the source of the swish.

Well that was a mistake. I got the winter wheels out seated the tubeless tyres instantly no mess. I then picked up the rear which was making a swishing sound. Which I decided was too loud. Perhaps it was a bit of old sealant :scratch:So I unseated it poured out the sealant (a bit of a mess) to discover the tire/ rim bed is clean and the swishing noise is deep in rim body somewhere in the spoke holes :scratch:I can't get it to seat now which is messy. I've left it for a bit and I'll try again with the air tank or I'll try later with a CO2 can. If it seats I'll put up with the swish for now and fix it later when I have more space. If it doesn't seat it's a trip to a lbs for rim tape and more sealant and I'll try to find the source of the swish.
I took the rim tape off. It seems like hardened sealant had fallen through the spoke hole (I don't have that problem with my other rims, they're completely sealed, no spoke holes). Re taped it and after a couple of seating attempts whilst the sealant found it's way to the holes, it sealed. I'll not use it tomorrow but it looks good and is holding air. The front which I done yesterday is still solid :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I finished working on my son's BeOne Raw training bike after it stopped moving fully on a hilly ride Sunday, the result being he had to ride every hill in the big ring. The Dura-Ace rear derailleur pivot had seized; it's been dismantled with every part cleaned and/or greased. Add to that a new KMC black lightweight chain plus new rear gear cable and it's all good to go.

I've a stack of small jobs piling up across the bikes but a work backlog as well, so the jobs may well have to wait.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I offered a further, liberal dose of "hammer-based persuasion" to my seized seatpost and quill stem. They responded with their usual stoney chorus of "zero fooks". The bike remains inert and useless; as I expect it to until I find the resolve to crack out the hacksaw :rolleyes:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Been having some indexing problems. Started thinking it was a B screw problem or something exotic like that.

Turned out the cause was that the the bolt holding the mech to the frame was a bit loose. Should have been bleeding obvious but as I was looking at it with the wheel in and everything under tension I missed it until I noticed the mech wobbling a bit with the wheel out. So last night I put the bike away and retired to peruse the Shimano tech docs as I wanted to avoid my traditional balls-up.

This morning nipped the bolt tight, tweaked the indexing and all seems good.:smile:

(Famous last words)

Last edited:
Top Bottom