What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Started to get around to putting the wheel I posted about back together.

Managed to put the replacement spokes in luckily without destroying the velox rim tape.

Cleaned up the cups and freewheel body mount and had a faff about with the other bits that come away incl the disk adaptor etc. Resolved to put them through the dishwasher as the 20month old kept running away with the bits.

I've put both the new freewheel body and the old in the freezer to see if it is the grease that gets too thick in the cold. Both seem equally sluggish at -20 but still work and the older seems freer.

Then put some new brake pads in the bike and give it a quick mickle. Noticed I'd lost 3 spikes from the ice spike tyres I've been using while this wheel is off the road. Spent 20mins looking for the jar of spare spikes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the Avanti Circa 1 cross-commuter which looked xx( . It'll need a chain and new front brake pads very shortly, which will be next weekend's job.

My LBS worked their usual magic on son no. 2's pain-in-the-rear Argon E-116 TT bike, fitting new arm-rest brackets for him and new cables plus new bar tape. The clamps weren't suitable which I'd got so ended up sourcing a used set of bars just for the replacement better type clamp and arm rest. That's been an expensive fix!

Last edited:
A quick lunchtime fettle from me. For last week's commute in -7deg I took the gravel bike with SPD pedals and I quite liked the ease of walking around in mtb shoes and they did a great job of keeping my feetthe right temperature. I was going to keep the new mtb shoes clean until spring but I decided to swap the spd-sl's on the road bike for spd's and use them.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Chain cleaning & lubing day plus a quick clean of the frames & wheels.
Chains day.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I have to say I'm impressed by the limited colour palette.
Other than the bronze ribble, I prefer the restrained look of light grey, dark grey and 2 x titanium ^_^
I don't do flashy colours - of the other 3 bikes not needing work today, 2 are also plain titanium and the other is a matt black carbon weave.

Mike_P

Guru
New 105 7000 rear caliper fitted to the road bike and existing cable seems fine so that saved some time, just the need to remove a now unneeded end cap from the outer.

At the same time refitted the mounts for the quick release Flinger Race Pro mudguards using four keyring store cards trapped between them and the tyre to ensure clearance whilst the main caliper bolt was tightened.

Managed it outdoors but thats likely to be the extent of a bike being in the open today as the wind is noticeably gusting; at least the washing should dry today.

Top Bottom