What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Dragged my bike out of the garage, checked it over and fired it up, haven’t even taken the cover off since October. I now need to book it in for an MOT and service.

C0B7FB6A-C446-4974-802C-A3CCB8AED584.jpeg

Also checked the oil and fluids in both our cars.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Trimmed an inch off bottom of new front mudflap. The bottom is now two inches off the ground which should stop it sweeping the road.

0812B90B-630D-4576-99C9-225B451F8D88.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yesterday evening I glued a new tub to my son's front track disc as he'll need it for the BUCS national championships in a couple of weeks apparently as he's in the team pursuit. The irony of prepping a wheel for my son's university to beat my university isn't lost on me.

This evening I looked at my Raleigh SP Race; on yesterday's century ride it wasn't shifting properly, with jumping / non-shifting happening. The chain was xx( and worn plus the cassette was also xx(.

A lightly used cassette plus a lightly used chain, some cleaning, lubrication and adjustment of cables and it all seems to be OK. I was worried that the shifter was getting worn but it seems OK for now. I had been hoping to just put the chain on when it was going onto the turbo but things are delayed; the Thompson Capella has a broken shifter and the LBS are finishing it off as I've family issues and am too busy.

Last edited:
I trade in my car tomorrow, after 6 years of ownership of a vehicle which was already 6 years old when I got it.
It's a bit scruffy, and I'm not getting a lot for it in part ex, so I was content to hand it over unwashed. The car, that is......
But a squadron of seagulls used it for target practice over the weekend, and I couldn't bear to hand it over plastered in bird poo, so I pressure washed it today. And hoovered it a bit. It's certainly not going to be mistaken for a properly valeted car, but at least it doesn't look quite so neglected.
Bon voyage, Percy Peugeot........

Chislenko

Veteran
I trade in my car tomorrow, after 6 years of ownership of a vehicle which was already 6 years old when I got it.
It's a bit scruffy, and I'm not getting a lot for it in part ex, so I was content to hand it over unwashed. The car, that is......
But a squadron of seagulls used it for target practice over the weekend, and I couldn't bear to hand it over plastered in bird poo, so I pressure washed it today. And hoovered it a bit. It's certainly not going to be mistaken for a properly valeted car, but at least it doesn't look quite so neglected.
Bon voyage, Percy Peugeot........

I am trading my 15 year old Citroen in next month and am also toying with the idea of cleaning it before I hand it over.

Will be sorry to see it go to be honest.

Had a really good day volunteering at the community bike workshop today. I was given a great condition Dawes 531 road bike frame, a pair of DT Swiss wheels and a full Dura Ace 5700 11 spd group set to build up. Everything donated.
Not sure of the model of the Dawes as the model name had been removed but I don't think it was a Galaxy.
It was very unusual for us to build up a traditional steel frame with a modern groupset, but I was very happy with the end result. Managed a short ride to test brakes and gears which went well, even though I'm 5'8" and it would have suited someone about 6'4" so had the saddle virtually on the top tube.

Edit: my brain failed me yesterday with this post. The F&F were Claud Butler and probably the Elite or the Criterium.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I found my Bose QuietComfort headphones hidden away amongst my ex's stuff the other day. She'd borrowed them some time ago, discovered how good they were and somehow evaded returning them :laugh: Unfortunately when I opened the case what were once mint headphones now had split and torn ear pads and were covered in a layer of hair gel and matted hair - she was never really any good at looking after stuff. Anyway, I decided to clean them up and replace the ear pads with aftermarket ones which arrived today and were super easy to install. The headphones are now running the latest firmware and are downstairs charging ready for an upcoming business trip :becool:

20230221_185030.jpg

20230221_185851.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not just today, over the last week or two.
I picked up a Giant Peleton Lite from the south coast after it had been flagged up for sale on another thread by @biggs682 .
Stripped and serviced. New cable outers, bar tape and pedals.
View attachment 679078

Hey @Mark Grant glad you are enjoying it , had a few of them over the years and always liked them especially the ones with retro colour schemes

Top Bottom