What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Put some new maxxis tires on my moulton today

Last edited:
The past few weeks, my Genesis Datum has developed the dreaded press-fit BB creak about 30 mins into a ride. Took the cranks off, cleaned it up and re-fitted it. Will try it out tomorrow, but expect that I will need to change it. I am considering going for one of the metal alternatives such as Hope, but they are quite expensive.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not so much as a fettle (that will be tomorrow), more of a fiddle.
A few years ago I gave my sister a Giant CRS1 flatbar that I couldn't get on with - it's at least 1 size too large for her and it was sold as a mens bike, but she loves it for her 2 mile commute to work and because the price was right and it comes with free servicing! I picked it up this afternoon as she said the gears and the brakes needed adjusting, so on getting home I had a quick look and all it seemed to need was the gear cable and the cable operated brakes tightening up a bit, plus a bit of a clean. However, I couldn't resist test fitting a set of Clarks M2 hydraulic brakes I had lying around on the frame just to see if they would go as a free upgrade for her. They did so I've now got to strip the old cables & levers off and replace them with the new bits as well as sort the gears tomorrow.

Gunk

Guru
After a long ride I can declare that last weekend's disc brake repair was a success and the intermittent scraping sound has gone away.

I took off the disc, cleaned it and screwed it back in place again. I had suspected it to be bent but I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Now working fine but I don't know why.

Sometimes is can just be caused by the position of the wheel in the dropouts

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I am so bored, my wife says take your bike apart and put it back together again, that will take most of the day, I am going to wait until the young man who lives across the road comes back from school and I will wash and service his dads MTB, he has been using this as well as his BMX, last time out he said the brakes are rubbish, I can see new pads and cables as a minimum.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Someone gave me an old Peugeot (Carbolite, 10-speed, cottered cranks)

Here's that Peugeot

Suicide levers. I will of course try them out later to see how suicidal they really are.
Tyres holding up OK, 'Super Fast' brand- sound promising.

gP68yr1.jpg

Some bits are shiny.
Cottered cranks on this one.

wrpl3kr.jpg

Some bits aren't so shiny.

VFignpv.jpg

v06WDWq.jpg

It's got a sticker on it from Bob Addy's shop.
I once traded in a Carbolite Peugeot for a Muddy Fox Courier in there.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not very suicide-y. I can do a good emergency stop on the flat from a decent speed. Disappointing.

I wouldn't want to use them on a good descent, not that I'm going anywhere near a good descent with those tyres.

Obviously things would change somewhat were it to be raining.

Gunk

Guru
My new Mavic Aksium wheels arrived today for my BMC ALR01 £195 brand new with tyres and an 11 speed 105 Cassette. They’re an improvement on the original Shimano RS010 wheelset which came with the bike.

I popped the cassette off greased the spline and removed the ugly spoke protector, I also removed the mahoosive reflectors.

All fitted, although it was a reasonable spec new, to suit me, I have now replaced the Handlebar stem (70mm), seat, crankset and calipers (105 5800 to match the rest of the groupset) and now the wheels, it’s all finished now (that’s what I’ve told Mrs Gunk!). It’s a now a perfect road bike for me, not too fancy and ideal for weekend rides with my son, Smooth, easy to ride and a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom