What have you got that will 'see you out'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
The clock was made in the early/mid 1950's with a 1930's art deco look. Apparently,there was an art deco revival in the 1950's. I let it run down sometimes just to let me have a break from the loud 'boings'/chimes. A midday or midnight 12 'boing' chime takes approximately 1 minute 10 seconds. Bloody annoying when you're trying to talk to someone on the phone,or listen to summat on the radio!!:laugh:

Edit....Just remembered. To have less decibels you can move the little hammer in the back/mechanism slightly,so that it doesn't completely hit the coiled spring type thing that makes the 'boings'.
Some have a switch to stop the chines, I've got a cuckoo clock with a lovely sound to it, but luckily it's got a small mechanical switch to stop them that always gets used at night.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Below are pics of my dad's old camera. It's an Agfa Billy,made in Germany(West Germany, as it was then,i presume). He bought it in Hong Kong around 1952/3,while doing National Service over there. All our family photos were taken by/on this camera. I think it was last used around 1979/80. So it had a lifespan of around 28 years. I wonder if it'd still work?🤔
Those were the days,when you took around 30 photos on holiday,then had to wait till you got back home to take them to Timothy Whites,then wait a fortnight before you could collect them.:smile:

1599908984363.png

1599909073662.png

1599909263539.png

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A plane left lying on its blade face?

Shockingly bad treatment of a quality tool.

Always, always, leave a plane lying on its side.

Apparently that's a bit of an old wive's tale told naughty schoolboys and it's really not a concern. I've heard this from genuinely top class woodworkers on youtube.

stephec

Legendary Member
Money wise,i don't have items of much value,apart from sentimental value of course. If i won 'the pools':rolleyes: i'd buy one of those art deco apartments in Miami,or the south of France!:becool: :okay:
There's quite a few of them along the south coast through Sussex, nearest one to us that I noticed a while back went for big money even though it was in Wakefield! 😂

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My beloved vintage Singer sewing machines. My hand crank one is about 57 years old and my electric one is 87 years old. Both will probably be around in another 100 years.
Me too. I only have electric. Singer 201k, 1955, in its original table. Works perfectly.

I think a couple of my bikes will see me out. My hi-fi, old riding boots (1980 and still going strong) and my old bread loaf tin (for baking bread). It was my Nan’s and she got it shortly after the war. Replaced as her’s got bombed. The whole house did but she was annoyed about the bread tin, her favourite wooden spoon and mixing bowl until the day she died.

I have various other robust things too.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's quite a few of them along the south coast through Sussex, nearest one to us that I noticed a while back went for big money even though it was in Wakefield! 😂

There aren't many art deco buildings in Accrington...fancy that!:rolleyes: There's the florist shop across from the hospital and that's about it...i think.🤔 Though if you travel up Manchester Road there are quite a few nice examples of Art Nouveau architecture.:okay: Then we have the Tiffany Glass museum.
https://www.visitlancashire.com/things-to-do/haworth-art-gallery-tiffany-glass-p7262

Top Bottom