what have you learnt today !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have learnt that no matter how cheap I make my prices somec*** will undercut me so there really is no point in lowering them at all and I learnt that this morning having quoted a job at the very bottom line possible including materials and having the agent phone up saying someone else had quoted slightly cheaper, I didn't even bother to ask where they were from as I'm getting tired of the answer.

I used to be a buyer in engineering. I built some good relationships with suppliers and let my preferred suppliers know what the competition was up to and where he had to quote.
One of the competition quote sooooo low on a job, my preferred supplier said...stuff it, give it to them, they're not going to make any money and they'll just undercut themselves out of business.
He continued charging sensible prices, and continued in business for years.

machew

Veteran
That if you plug a PC into a badly configured POE switch, there is a small bang and the lights go out

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive learned that despite wallowing like a fish out of water in a new job for 3 months...its finally clicking and i'm not having to call on other engineers to guide me.
(new job, new machinery...you only learn a bit at a time, only as much as the machinery breaks down. Until that point, you learn nothing, but every breakdown is new, every solution has to be thought out from scratch. Some are easy, some are hard)

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Today i learned a banana has around 95 calories per 100g , so a std full banana has approx 175 calories in it, where as a mars bar has around 170 calories.
Some one clever will now tell us why the banana is better for us.

headcoat

Über Member
Well i learnt that bike shops don't know how to service a bike with hub gears. Got mine back and it wasn't changing right kept jumping gear, I was looking at it and then realised they hadn't lined up the two marks when in gear four.....problem solved :smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yebbut ... taking half an hour over something that used to last thirty seconds isn't always such a bad thing you know :whistle:

And there's this way around :smile: - warning: contains country music!

colly

Re member eR
I learned today that my bicycle, in road going state, (lights, pump, pedals, saddle pack with spares etc etc) weighs 27.5 lbs. :eek:

That explains SO much.

Top Bottom