What "interesting" HPVs have you seen on your travels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A while ago I saw a guy in the city on what appeared to be a delta trike with a sail, which I didn't know was a thing.

A few days ago I saw a couple on a MTB-derived tandem, complete with front shocks.

Some time ago I saw a bloke in a Quest velomobile (he's active on the net but I forget his name) which was novel.. I'd love one of these if our traffic infrastructure allowed it without the seemingly elevated risk of getting your face run over in the process..

What have you seen that raised a smile or perhaps an eyebrow?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Just today, I saw an older lady on an upright trike that had a kind of small cargo flatbed over the rear axle, behind her seat, like a tiny pick up truck. It had a perspex box that was packed with knitting gear, balls and balls of wool and big needles and other knitting paraphernalia. I wish I'd have asked for a picture but I'll look out for her again.

She struggled at a narrow gate and she vocally cursed her inability to balance on two wheels, but I said that I think the gain of cargo space should carry some weight!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was once taking a break after an extremely hard climb over the summit of Fleet Moss above Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales and I was looking down to the south when I saw some strange shaped objects on the road in the distance. They came quickly up the hill towards me and I soon discovered that it was a group of very fit-looking disabled men on hand-cranked recumbent trikes. Very impressive to see them in action!

classic33

Leg End Member
I use a Brox Quad, bought in Irlam. Booked on the train for one stop, where the plan was to ride it home from there.

Got clear lanes whilst riding through Manchester city centre.

Had a go on a Peer Gynt LWB recumbent on Otley Chevin.

A few years ago I encountered someone doing the Three Pistes Challenge on an Elliptigo. Damnest thing I've ever seen. He was quick, too. I have no idea how he got it over the Lecht, but somehow he did.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to ride an ICE Trike and was surprised how safe it was. Other traffic treat you as though you was something like a Smart car. My biggest problem was always going down long hills and the car in front wanted to slow down so the back seat passangers could oggle at you out of the rear window.

A velomobile would have no problem on the road I would expect. But I think you may need ear defenders to ride one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A few years ago I encountered someone doing the Three Pistes Challenge on an Elliptigo. Damnest thing I've ever seen. He was quick, too. I have no idea how he got it over the Lecht, but somehow he did.

I saw two of those last week. I'd never seen one before. They had Elliptigo Preston on their shirts and were a long way from home if that was accurate.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nothing much of late. Theres a chap I see about on an Elliptogo, and various combinations of recumbent, but no streamliners or anything really out of the ordinary.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
In the past couple of weeks I've seen a racing trike, some form of tandem with a recumbent front rider and a standard upright rear rider (both adults), and a battery assist hand cycle.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

They are pretty easy uphill, you can put a lot of power in stood up and the rest is gearing. They have completed LEL, PBP, Mille Cymru. Also complete lejog and and lejogle former in just under 6 days and and latter 11 days something.

Top Bottom