What is a British Airways "recognised bike bag/box"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I tried ringing BA, but none of the voice menu options were applicable, and their online contact form is only for non-urgent queries, and I really need an answer soon. So, can any of you point me to where I might find out what BA considers a "recognised" bike bag/box?

Thanks,

--- Victor.

jack smith

Veteran
Probably just a specific bike bag/ bog made specifically for that purpose, basically not something like a binbag or a botched cardboard box

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have used BA to transport my bike twice in the last year. First time Glasgow to Bordeaux via Gatwick it was in a huge heavy duty polythene tunnel type thing as sold by the CTC.. It survived with scuffed bar tape. I wasn't flying back, so the polly bag got binned at Bordeaux airport.

More recently Glasgow to Orlando via Gatwick. This time my hybrid Trek so no bar tape to scuff; and I now have an Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op proper bike bag. It made the outward trip unscathed, but the return has yet to be done....

BA will take the bike as your checked baggage allowance, as long as it is not over the 23kg limit. They didn't even weigh mine at Glasgow; just sent me to the outsize baggage counter who took it airside.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks for the replies, all. I would have replied sooner, but had a very busy day at work. :smile:
Soft bags are out, I think, and definitely not just a cardboard box, @ianrauk. Given that I'll be travelling across the world in September, and the bike is worth about $4500 (or at least that's what it cost me), I'll be using a hard cased bike box, most likely one of these ***, but I haven't decided yet. If I had any way of contacting BA, I'd ask them to make sure. Perhaps I'll just try their general booking number, then ask to be forwarded to someone who knows what the bicycle baggage policies are - does that sound like a good approach?

*** Yes, I know it's not strictly "hard" case, but it appears to be padded well enough that it makes no real difference.

Thanks for the replies, all. I would have replied sooner, but had a very busy day at work. :smile:
Soft bags are out, I think, and definitely not just a cardboard box, @ianrauk. Given that I'll be travelling across the world in September, and the bike is worth about $4500 (or at least that's what it cost me), I'll be using a hard cased bike box, most likely one of these ***, but I haven't decided yet. If I had any way of contacting BA, I'd ask them to make sure. Perhaps I'll just try their general booking number, then ask to be forwarded to someone who knows what the bicycle baggage policies are - does that sound like a good approach?

*** Yes, I know it's not strictly "hard" case, but it appears to be padded well enough that it makes no real difference.

I am beginning to think you are a drama queen, keen to post for attention. A simple goggle would have got you so many links to the answers including BA bike policy page.

Everything you have cited including soft bags that are designed for bikes and cardboard boxes that bikes are delivered in are perfectly accepted by BA. I have used all 3 in the past. You already indicating the use of the hard case which I can see are designed for bikes. .

Here is the BA Bike policy
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ntials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

"We will accept non-motorised bicycles up to 190cm (75in) in length, provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.

Please ensure that you:
  • pack the bike in a protective case or bag
  • remove the pedals or fix them inwards
  • fix the handlebars sideways
  • deflate the tyres to reduce the risk of damage"
I suspect that you still would want to talk to BA just to tell them that you are travelling from point A to point B with a bike. Just pop into a busy airport including Tullamarine and you are bound to see bike case of all types coming thru every now and then from BA and other flights. Its not a rare event.

Then again you might want to get your lawyers to ask BA to define the term "recognised" in their policy. Now your lawyers will also know about your bike trip.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I am beginning to think you are a drama queen, keen to post for attention. A simple goggle would have got you so many links to the answers including BA bike policy page.

Everything you have cited including soft bags that are designed for bikes and cardboard boxes that bikes are delivered in are perfectly accepted by BA. I have used all 3 in the past. You already indicating the use of the hard case which I can see are designed for bikes. .

Here is the BA Bike policy
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ntials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

"We will accept non-motorised bicycles up to 190cm (75in) in length, provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.

Please ensure that you:
  • pack the bike in a protective case or bag
  • remove the pedals or fix them inwards
  • fix the handlebars sideways
  • deflate the tyres to reduce the risk of damage"
I suspect that you still would want to talk to BA just to tell them that you are travelling from point A to point B with a bike. Just pop into a busy airport including Tullamarine and you are bound to see bike case of all types coming thru every now and then from BA and other flights. Its not a rare event.

Then again you might want to get your lawyers to ask BA to define the term "recognised" in their policy. Now your lawyers will also know about your bike trip.
Thanks for the feedback. I've read all that you quoted above, and it's not very specific about what types of bag or box they accept. Given that I'll be travelling internationally, and will have paid a large sum in advance for this, I prefer to be certain they won't just reject my baggage at the airport. This I think is perfectly reasonable and not over-dramatic, as you so rudely pointed out. Please don't bother replying, as I've just added you to my ignore list. I have no time for people with your rude attitude.

Thanks for the feedback. I've read all that you quoted above, and it's not very specific about what types of bag or box they accept. Given that I'll be travelling internationally, and will have paid a large sum in advance for this, I prefer to be certain they won't just reject my baggage at the airport. This I think is perfectly reasonable and not over-dramatic, as you so rudely pointed out. Please don't bother replying, as I've just added you to my ignore list. I have no time for people with your rude attitude.

Most flights are international and people pay a large sum of money for the fares. So nothing here. The issue is not the fear of rejection of the bike. The issue is the inability to google and find the BA bike policy after people comments and still talking about reaching BA to find out more. I found the link the first time around and it is very clear.

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Most flights are international and people pay a large sum of money for the fares. So nothing here. The issue is not the fear of rejection of the bike. The issue is the inability to google and find the BA bike policy after people comments and still talking about reaching BA to find out more. I found the link the first time around and it very clear.
Yes, you're absolutely right. You should complain to the mods

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

A cardboard bike box with your bike packed and padded inside carefuly will be fine for your $4500 bike.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Given that I'll be travelling internationally
IME, it's not the distance that matters, but the number of flights (and therefore the number of times baggage handlers get to throw it about).
Once the bike is on the plane, no harm is going to come of it if it is properly stowed. So it matters not if the flight is one hour from Glasgow to London, or 20 hours from Melbourne to London. If you get a baggage handler who doesn't give a sh!t, you could have a problem - unless your bike is in a very strong (and therefore heavy) case.
Mine is right now in one of these, ready to head to the airport later today:
revolution-transit-bike-bag-with-wheel-bags.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Most flights are international and people pay a large sum of money for the fares. So nothing here. The issue is not the fear of rejection of the bike. The issue is the inability to google and find the BA bike policy after people comments and still talking about reaching BA to find out more. I found the link the first time around and it is very clear.
Its about as clear as mud!
Took a look last night and it left me wanting to call them as their site doesn't actually state what they will accept.
Speaking as an ex-baggage handler. I'd want the bike packed in something that meant I didn't get hurt handling it, nor could me handling it damage it. Luggage transfer isn't the easy, smooth process you're shown on TV. Time constraints mean they'll want it all loaded as quick as you're able.

Qantas /Emirates allow 30kg in as many bags as you care to carry (please check this though) remember if you have internal flights with in Europe on a separate ticket, then that airlines rules apply.

You probably should engage a travel agent. Flight Centre are good and not expensive and have offices all over UK

A cardboard bike box with your bike packed and padded inside carefuly will be fine for your $4500 bike.

Agree. I went to Evans and asked for one amongst their discards. They told me to come the next day and then handed over a box plus the padding that was used for a bike that they took delivery off including the fork guards. Great of them.

Top Bottom