What is a Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

eddie coffin

Thats a cool site thanks. It seems the climb from Lancaster is a Cat 3 and the one from Clitheroe is a Cat 2. I feel a lot better knowing that. No wonder it was such a struggle to get up!!

Is there anything more difficult than that round here? Or is the nearest place likely to be the Lake District?
The definition varies from person to person. www.mapmyride.com have an objective way of measuring climbs they're ranked, with 5 being the easiest and 1 being the steepest. I consider anything that makes it on the rating a hill. The toughest hill I've been up is a 3 though (Ditchling Beacon) I do 4s and 5s quite regularly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thats a cool site thanks. It seems the climb from Lancaster is a Cat 3 and the one from Clitheroe is a Cat 2. I feel a lot better knowing that. No wonder it was such a struggle to get up!!

Is there anything more difficult than that round here? Or is the nearest place likely to be the Lake District?
Whalley Banks is supposed to be very tough and so is Birdy Brow on the eastern side of Longridge Fell, though I haven't done either of them yet.

The Nick o'Pendle between Clitheroe and Sabden is pretty tough both ways, and Black Hill from Sabden up to Padiham Heights is hard too.

Seek and Ye Shall Find! :thumbsup:

Byrd Sloan

Ok, I know its a silly question so I'll explain. Only been cycling regularly for about a year and I live near on the Fylde coast (nr Blackpool) and its like cycling on a billiard table round here. As I got fitter, slimmer and quicker I've started venturing further away, to the Trough of Bowland mainly where its more of a challenge. Theres been a few climbs that while I've got up them they have been a struggle. One going north from Clitheroe and one going south out of Lancaster. What I'm wondering is would most cyclists regard these as a climb or am I just deluding myself?

Torry Pines road, that's a hill.

vickster

Legendary Member
I admire your thread digging skills, sir.

That said, your taste in 'hills' is rubbish. I looked the one you mentioned up and it appears to be 2.3km with an average gradient of 5.5% and a maximum of 7%. You call that a 'barf' over here, or 'Yorkshire flat' :laugh:

I don’t think Hawaii is known for its hills is it?

On the TDF (probabaly) commentary a few years ago they were talking out this
It was one of those stages in the live commentary where the breakaway has gone off - got a 5 minute lead which is stable and there is naff all going on for the next 2-3 hours except scenic view of any house bigger than a semi

Anyway it went something like this
After this section there is a sort of false flat followed by another climb
On that point David (or whoever) what actually is a false flat
Well it is sort of like a point where the slope becomes lower so it feels like it is flatter but actually it is still a hill which you realise after a short while when you are still hurting

After this they started coming up with other cycling terms describing the road going upwards - and they were still coming up with new ones 10 minutes later

cycling seems to have a lot of words for hills!

plus the rude ones

Venod

Eh up
Yesterdays turbo ride, now that's a hill.

1656603310158.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
When you are me, everything is a hill. Unless it's a headwind. If I actually have to get off and walk, that's a real hill. Fortunately I don't come across many real hills. After sweating up some minor interruption in the alleged flatness that is Cheshire I sometimes remonstrate with myself. That wasn't a real hill. That wasn't even a hill. It was a just a hillock, pillock. What would be called, when I lived in Wales, just a joking hill. Goes to show that hills are relative. Perhaps I need to get out more.

Top Bottom