What is a Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eddie coffin

Ok, I know its a silly question so I'll explain. Only been cycling regularly for about a year and I live near on the Fylde coast (nr Blackpool) and its like cycling on a billiard table round here. As I got fitter, slimmer and quicker I've started venturing further away, to the Trough of Bowland mainly where its more of a challenge. Theres been a few climbs that while I've got up them they have been a struggle. One going north from Clitheroe and one going south out of Lancaster. What I'm wondering is would most cyclists regard these as a climb or am I just deluding myself?

raindog

er.....
I think we did this one two or three weeks ago.

It's a hill if you can freewheel going in the other direction. That's the only meaningful definition imo.
biggrin.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Theres been a few climbs that while I've got up them they have been a struggle. One going north from Clitheroe and one going south out of Lancaster. What I'm wondering is would most cyclists regard these as a climb or am I just deluding myself?
North from Clitheroe - surely that's Waddington Fell? 280 m ascent in 4.4 km (920 ft in 2.75 miles), an average of 6.4% and including a section which is steep enough to get a chevron on the OS map (at least 1-in-7 or 14%) - of course that's a climb!

waddington-fell-waddington-side-wide.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ok, I know its a silly question so I'll explain. Only been cycling regularly for about a year and I live near on the Fylde coast (nr Blackpool) and its like cycling on a billiard table round here. As I got fitter, slimmer and quicker I've started venturing further away, to the Trough of Bowland mainly where its more of a challenge. Theres been a few climbs that while I've got up them they have been a struggle. One going north from Clitheroe and one going south out of Lancaster. What I'm wondering is would most cyclists regard these as a climb or am I just deluding myself?

Where's the one south out of Lancaster?

There's a bugger of a hill (to me, at least) going south-east from Lancaster, via Quernmore and up to the Jubilee tower - if that's the one you mean, it is most definitely a hill!

OP
OP
E

eddie coffin

Where's the one south out of Lancaster?

There's a bugger of a hill (to me, at least) going south-east from Lancaster, via Quernmore and up to the Jubilee tower - if that's the one you mean, it is most definitely a hill!

Yep, thats the one. Well thats a relief I dont mind telling you. Was dreading the thought that I was going to get the reply that it was just "rolling countryside"

Its worth it when you get to the top though

exbfb

It's up to you if it's a hill or not.

I've slowly started realising that my very modest abilities mean that I probably have more hills than most people.

This is my own local killer section.

186 feet gained in a mile.

My own little nemesis.

To many of you, it would probably mean nothing, to me, it's a nightmare.
Just got to get on with it though.

brockers

We did this the other week, but I can't remember the result. For my 2p, it's a hill if you have to use the inner ring

A group of us were in the Alps a couple of years ago, and one of the group bet another that he couldn't do the Col des Aravis (a 700m 2nd category climb in the TdF) in the 53 ring (23 at the back). He did it too. For a beer. That's what I call desperate!

Holdsworth

Über Member
I'm left for dead on hills, even though I have been at this commuting game for 11 months now! The only "hill" on my route is a 7% max gradient for 200 metres from the River Weaver valley up to the bridge going over the Middlewich Canal. No matter how I spin it just knackers me out by the end.
God knows how I made it up the hill through Minera and out to the Horseshoe Pass without dieing, I did admittedly get off and push for a section going up to the Horseshoe.

pip ryder

One going north from Clitheroe and one going south out of Lancaster. What I'm wondering is would most cyclists regard these as a climb or am I just deluding myself?

The definition varies from person to person. www.mapmyride.com have an objective way of measuring climbs they're ranked, with 5 being the easiest and 1 being the steepest. I consider anything that makes it on the rating a hill. The toughest hill I've been up is a 3 though (Ditchling Beacon) I do 4s and 5s quite regularly.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
For me, a speed bump used to be a hill

now anything over 4% is , anything under and im happy to pretty much hold any speed I hit it with

Top Bottom