What is a Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ok, I know its a silly question so I'll explain. Only been cycling regularly for about a year and I live near on the Fylde coast (nr Blackpool) and its like cycling on a billiard table round here. As I got fitter, slimmer and quicker I've started venturing further away, to the Trough of Bowland mainly where its more of a challenge. Theres been a few climbs that while I've got up them they have been a struggle. One going north from Clitheroe and one going south out of Lancaster. What I'm wondering is would most cyclists regard these as a climb or am I just deluding myself?

Yes they're all hills. But your own definition will change as you climb bigger, steeper hills.

I now class all hills in the UK, small. That's not to diminish the effort to get up them, but I've cycled up some monster mountains.

Then you realise the difference :okay:

There are times that I find cycling into a strong headwind is just as strenuous as a hill climb and tend to rate hills according to the effort needed to ride up them. Sometimes a very long gentle climb can be as taxing as a short sharp climb and the effort needed depends on fitness,weight, the type of bike and gearing being used. My bike is made for touring so isn't as fast or as light as a road bike. With loaded panniers my level of fitness and effort makes:
  • Gradients up to 6% easy.
  • Climbing between 7% and 10% involves a bit of effort.
  • I can manage 10% to 15% gradients for short distances.
  • Anything over 15% is beyond my ability.
I love the Forest of Bowland - enjoy your cycling !

D

Deleted member 1258

If it involves me changing down or getting out of the saddle, or both its a hill, if I can freewheel when I'm going down it then its a hill.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Wiki says - A hill is a landform that extends above the surrounding terrain.
I think the oft stated above is a perfect definition:- "if you can freewheel when you're going down it then its a hill"
One person's hill is another's speedbump, in the long term what others think doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Wiki says - A hill is a landform that extends above the surrounding terrain.
I think the oft stated above is a perfect definition:- "if you can freewheel when you're going down it then its a hill"
One person's hill is another's speedbump, in the long term what others think doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

How many beans do you need before it's a hill?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
How many beans do you need before it's a hill?

In the Fens 1

Midlands 2

Yorkshire / Cornwall 3

Alps 4

Milzy

Guru
In Yorkshire there’s some good hills but we don’t class half of them as hills. I’m doing the Struggle moores course tomorrow and I know there’s at least one real hill called Rosdale chimney bank starting at 90 miles.

Don't forget any hill (any definition of) will hurt when you do it imitially, even repeatedly and over a long time, perhaps even forever! BUT you'll find your times up it will always be improving, hopefully to the point it is no longer a hill and simply an undulation/rise/gradient/whatever term ride leaders use to hide ouchy bits.

Top Bottom