What is a Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
If I eat excessive quantities of beans I'm likely to get the Environmental health people knocking on my door. :laugh:
Dave why not combine beans and Brussel sprouts , there wouldn’t be a door left to knock on.

Here in Devon, everything is hill.
My longer rides are also the flattest I can arrange, into Plymouth and back along NCN27. Still gives more than 2200ft of gain!
I do not pretend to be a climber, although my latest bike has some seriously low gears, so we'll see if that helps...

Venod

Eh up
Just checked my Strava stats for the year so far, 47ft climbed per mile, so I must have gone up a few hills.

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
In the fens, a hill is a bridge over water.
You beat me to it! iirc, in my home town, there were some traffic lights at the foot of a bridge on the driving test route. If the lights were red, it counted as your hill start when they changed and you pulled off; if they were on green and you didn't stop, then you didn't have to do the hill start.

Otherwise, this is a fenland hill (note the heights above sea level that appear here and there):
1656774999773.png

Edit: - and this is what it looks like from a nearby road, across the field:

1656775372615.png

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
From that map, there must be the question, "What is a contour line? I haven't seen one of those before."

freiston

Veteran
From that map, there must be the question, "What is a contour line? I haven't seen one of those before."

I have an old OS 1:50,000 sheet number 131- from which the above extract comes from with no contour lines at all on the entire sheet (so about 24mile x 24mile - of which about a third of is sea) but I have a later edition that does have a few - but I think I'm right in saying they are all 0m. The marked heights of 2, 3 and 4 metres tend to be on the raised banks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The dictionary says:

which pretty much rules out most things in the Fens, Cateyes included (my classic definition of a hill in the Fens) :laugh:

Going back to difference between a mountain and a hill. My definition is a mountain you can fall off in the summer, where as to fall off a hill it needs to be in winter conditions.

freiston

Veteran
This is my home ground nowadays - I consider it to be hilly. Google Earth reports my gpx files as approximately 75 feet per mile ascent/descent per mile.

1656796522769.png

Definitions/demarcation of hill/mountain aside, I reckon it is more useful to say whether a ride is hilly or not by the ascent (& descent) by distance - and that doesn't give a comprehensive picture - up/down changing every 200 yards is different to a steady up and then down over a mile.

Top Bottom