What is a Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz Vickers

I've looked and i'm still unsure. I'm looking at Mountain Bikes for Gentle off roading, But i keep seeing Hybrids mentioned. So whats the difference between a Hybrid and a Mountain Bike?

defy-one

Hybrid is a generic term for any bike that isn't a mountain or road racing bike.
Usually means it has features of both. Larger 700 wheels,but thicker tyres. Flat handlebars and gears like a mtb.
A one stop do it all bike for the leisure or commuter cyclist. Able to go across paths and light offroad use,and even on roads. Can be tailored for a specific use by tyre choices.

Serious off roaders always end up buying a proper mtb.
Serious road users nearly always gravitate to a road bike.

think of a road bike, but with flat bars and wider/higher profile tyres with a bit of offroad tread. Having said that - the definition is even less clear these days, with the advent of 29er MTBs and disc-equipped 'CX-style' commuters.....

a hybrid more a cross between an MTB and a leisure bike with its upright siting position and heavier frame along with fatter tyres and wider rims.
Cyclo-cross is more cross roadie/tourer/part MTB with the frame much closer in build and geometry to a roadie, slightly more beefed up and with gearing closer to roadie but longer cage/lower gearing.
The CX also has V or disk brakes.

Top Bottom