What is best bike shop in London to get fully equipped touring bike+ all gear for 3 week trip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macfiddle

I will be flying into Gatwick early Aug. I will be cycling for 3 weeks mainly France / Germany with my son. We need 2 touring bikes + all gear needed for the trip. Which shop should we go to ? Thanks, Allan

Tim Hall

Evans hq is only a mile from Gatwick. Hell, there's even a cycle path you can walk down from the South Terminal to get there. Note that Gatwick is 25 miles from the middle of London.

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
You’d need to order a couple of weeks in advance and collect. The bikes would need to be built and accessories attached. You can’t usually just turn up and wheel them out an hour later

Evans Gatwick would be the best I think, big shop. Try to arrive Mon-Fri. Weekends much busier. Phone them to arrange collection

Are you then Cycling to the coast to pick up a ferry to The continent?

Otherwise Condor in central London if your pockets are deep (£2k per bike would be the ballpark)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You’d need to order a couple of weeks in advance and collect. The bikes would need to be built and accessories attached. You can’t usually just turn up and wheel them out an hour later

I would suggest you need to get hold of the bikes at least a couple of months before intended trip, in order to get fully used to them and give them a shakedown period, so that any faults and adjustment issues get sorted out BEFORE you are in the middle of a trip hundreds of miles from home.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would suggest you need to get hold of the bikes at least a couple of months before intended trip, in order to get fully used to them and give them a shakedown period, so that any faults and adjustment issues get sorted out BEFORE you are in the middle of a trip hundreds of miles from home.
That's not really gong to happen though. I have an inkling the OP might be in North America (or Australasia maybe given he posted at 3.30am GMT or thereabouts)

They do of course have bike shops in France and Germany too in case of issues. I'd expect any major problems with set up would appear between Gatwick and Dover (where there are also bike shops)

I assume that the OP has some mechanical knowledge and will have the necessary tools to deal with most things

I'm sure it's not the ideal way to go touring but life is rarely perfect and the OP has planned the trip and doesn't want to bring bikes from his own country

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd probably try to get a major brand like Dawes from the big Evans. I'd avoid their own brands because they've not many branches on the way to the channel ports, have they? I'm not sure how useful other shops would be if the frame suffers a warranty failure, whereas presumably any Dawes dealer could replace a Dawes frame.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Evans is probably best due to location and range of stuff offered. You could also try Halfords in Crawley which is close, they will offer more budget items.

I’d be interested to know what you’ll do with them when you’ve finished your tour. Sell them or take them back home? If the latter you might ask Evans or whoever to help you pack them up in a box to ship them. You’ll be able to check them in but may have to pay extra due to weight allowances.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd probably try to get a major brand like Dawes from the big Evans. I'd avoid their own brands because they've not many branches on the way to the channel ports, have they? I'm not sure how useful other shops would be if the frame suffers a warranty failure, whereas presumably any Dawes dealer could replace a Dawes frame.
How often does that happen in the first 3 weeks of use?

I think Evans sell jamis and ridgeback touring bikes. Also genesis. Either if the first two can be bought for reasonable prices. My local Evans even stocks a couple of touring bikes (Kendal), but don't count on it. You will need to order in and usually takes 2 to 4 weeks, always late I think.

Enjoy your trip when it happens and do let us know how you get on including what bikes you get.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How often does that happen in the first 3 weeks of use?
Rarely but I've seen it happen more early in a frame's touring life. Like last year, one of the pannier rack fixing points broke away from the seat stay on a friend's new bike. With limited time, the OP would probably be better off having more places to get a new frame than needing to return to an Evans branch.

Top Bottom