What is best bike shop in London to get fully equipped touring bike+ all gear for 3 week trip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It all sounds like a lot of hassle to get a bike for 3 weeks (no mention of shipping/taking it home again afterwards)

I'd just order a bike in budget to Evans Gatwick and hop in a cab for 10 minutes from airport/local hotel

All that said, why not buy the bikes in the US and bring them with as hold baggage, then it can all be set up and you know it'll be where you need it and when. OK then there's the hassle of storing bike boxes etc, but Evans might oblige if you buy everything else from them

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I will be flying into Gatwick early Aug. I will be cycling for 3 weeks mainly France / Germany with my son. We need 2 touring bikes + all gear needed for the trip. Which shop should we go to ? Thanks, Allan

What are you going to do with the bikes afterwards ?

I think as others have suggested a bit of forward planning is required , ie do you need out and out touring bikes or just bikes that can have panniers fitted ?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't think I'd even consider touring on a new or, in my case different, bike, before I'd put a few hundred miles on it. I run into issues with wheels and tires, generally, and have to do some fettling. But then again, were I to go on a European tour, I'd probably not get out of the U.K., too much to see there.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don't think I'd even consider touring on a new or, in my case different, bike, before I'd put a few hundred miles on it. I run into issues with wheels and tires, generally, and have to do some fettling. But then again, were I to go on a European tour, I'd probably not get out of the U.K., too much to see there.
That's why I and ano steered towards Thorn/Spa. there's no reason why a bike set up by those guys shouldn't "fit and forget" as the OP desires.

Evans seems like a sensible choice given the locations. Order a common, well known brand in advance. You can bring your own saddle and pedals. For all the grear, if you need camping kit, Cotswold Camping is the main midmarket supplier in the SE, similar in type to Evans. Go Outdoors is a big supplier of lower end kit. In France the big sports/ outdoor shop is Decathlon.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If the OP is only looking for a bike for 3 weeks, maybe he is looking to hire rather than buy?
That would be my choice unless I was planning to bring the bikes home, which seems unlikely - if he/she wanted to take a bike on their air travels then presumably they would bring bikes from home.
Not being from anywhere near that there London, I can't be of any help with bike hire locations - but being London it will be reassuringly expensive!

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Drover Cycles in Hay hire out Thorn and Surly bikes, which should be flexible enough to set up for a few weeks touring. Ring UK 01497 822419. Around £100 per bike per week. Might consider shipping to airport....
This outfit http://adventurepedlars.com/ hire out Alpkit bikes and all the kit for weeks UK, and will deliver to mainline stations. More bikepacking style, but could be comfortable and hiring bags might be useful

Top Bottom