What is best for weightloss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
I am 6' 3" and 15 stone 10. I really want to get down to around 14 stone.

I do around 60 miles (3-5 rides) a week in the summer over varied terrain. Please advise on the following to maximise calorie/fat burning while on my bike:

1. Should I eat a meal before or after going out for my big 1.5 hour run?
2. Should I put it in a lower gear on the flat and maximise revs or go in as big a gear as possible and as fast as possible?
3. Up hills should I do them in a granny gear or as big a gear as possible?
4. Does it matter when I go out e.g. evening and next morning or a bigger time gap?
5. Does a time goal help i.e. always trying to beat your best time over your usual route?

Any further advice gratefully received
Thanks

ASC1951

Guru
If you have a finite amount of willpower - and most of us do - it is easier to lose weight by eating less than by exercising more, particularly if you already do
a reasonable amount.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
 I think you are overcomplicating things!

You can lose a pound of fat in a week by either:

1. Riding your bike hard for a total of about 6-8 hours without taking in extra Calories.
  2. Cutting your energy intake down by 500 Calories a day.

It is easier to do it by reducing the intake, but since you are a cyclist, you'll want to the cycling as well so do both and lose 2 pounds a week!

Use whatever gears you want. Climb hills if you want or just ride fast on the flat. Make sure you get a good sweat on and as you get fitter, keep on pushing yourself by riding further and faster.

ChrisBD

Agreed with all of the above.

For some its easy; for others not. But it does work, even if it takes more time for some.

Good luck.

Garz

Squat Member
Cycle when you can.

You can still eat the same and lose weight as you will be exercising more, if you want to accelerate the process begin by eating healthier foods then when you start to plateau it's a acse of eating less or making sacrifices. Do it gradually over a longer time will make the adjustments more tolerable.

yello

it is easier to lose weight by eating less than by exercising more

Agreed.

Further, high intensity exercise can actually make weight loss more difficult because you're often not burning off quite as much as you might think you are AND you'll give yourself the munchies big time after exercise. So if you don't carefully monitor what you're burning off and eating back (and have the incredible willpower to avoid the post-ride call of the fridge!) then you can end up putting on weight.

Look at your diet and cut out any fast sugars/carb more-or-less completely (cake, sweets, desserts, soft drinks, bread etc, pre-packed meals, even potatoes)... the high GI stuff. Then look to reduce portion sizes (and get used to it; it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change!).

It's not difficult though it does take dedication at first. You do get used to it and can build in an allowance for nights on the beer, or cake stops etc.

geo

Hi,agree with ColinJ on this one it sounds like you are over complicating things,the process is very simple use more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. However you do the exercise doesnt really matter,if you really want to get it right my advice would be to use HRM and ride at a pace that gets your HR to the right level for your age (google this for graph of HR/training level and age ). The benefits of this type of training is that you wont overtrain causing you to burn out early and end the exercise session which you may have done longer if you trained at the right level.The main thing is to enjoy whatever exerciese you do or you will not keep it up unless you have exceptional willpower !!Good luck and stick at it the weight will start to fall if you follow the simple rule of burning more energy than you take in.

Geo

yello

Sorry, my thoughts on the specific questions...

Eat normally and don't think of it as stocking or replenishing before/after exercise. Obviously, don't eat immediately before a big ride. I find I need at least 20 minutes to allow food to settle, and that's just a small meal.

If your aim is weight loss then don't knock yourself out on your rides. Consider your 'personal best' to be your weight targets. I'm not sure that it matters much when you do the exercise, though I have read morning rides before breakfast are effective for weight loss (though I'm not personally convinced). I like first thing rides myself but that's more for the head than the waist line! Equally, I'm not sure it matters whether you do one big ride or shorter ones morning and evening.

Re gearing, ride to be comfortable. If that means lower gears and faster pedalling then go that way. If you prefer pushing big gears then do that. Either way, try to avoid getting the heart rate thumping for prolonged periods. Increased, yes, but not pushing blood out of your eye sockets!

That's all said assuming that weight loss is the only aim. If you've got an eye of riding sportives etc then my thoughts would change.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
ride the bike how you feel suits you but its generally accepted that straining up hills in a big gear may damage your knees.The last thing you need now is to be laid up with an injury.

I found riding little and often with longer rides when I could fit them in worked well for me.The problem with all day rides is that you have to take on extra calories to keep going after a few hours then if you overdoe the extra food your ride will be a waste of time from a fat loss point of view.

Have a good look at what you are eating and try to make small changes to your diet gradually.

good Luck

gavintc

Guru
Your weight at nearly 16st has nothing to do with the bike. It is a result of a long period of eating too much of the wrong type of food / drink. cycling 60 miles a week, will have a marginal but nevertheless positive effect. If you are serious about losing weight, you need to have a look at what goes into your mouth. Eat less, change your diet to 'better quality' foods. I think if you sit down and think about it, you will know what the problem is. If you are trying to use the bike to justify no change to your intake, you will not lose any weight as 60 miles is just not enough to make an appreciable difference.

jimboalee

Let's get this right. You go out for four 15 mile rides each week?

That must be about 75 minutes of riding each.

Rides of that length and duration don't deserve any extra nutrition.

If what you want is to be a more powerful rider, I suggest you get in the protein foods after the ride as part of your normal daily calorie allowance.

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
Thanks for the comments.

I realise I really need to watch what I eat and combine it with a good few miles on the bike.

Weightloss ain't rocket science but it can be just as difficult...here goes.

Top Bottom