What is best for weightloss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
What's the duration of these rides thistler?

If you can afford to ride slower as you have no deadline or family to spend time with then do so. You don't want to ride so slow as to not break sweat though try to keep it around 60% intensity and for over 40 minutes is what I believe is the point where fat burning is most effective.

EssexRider

Atkins is very bad for your breath, I once tried it and I don't think it ever recovered properly. As jim has stressed it's ok for results but not healthy for a long term diet.
cool.gif

2 weeks max and you need to slowly cut down the carbs and then when youre done you slowly bring them back :smile:

I've never done it though, I love my carbs too much.

jimboalee

If you can afford to ride slower as you have no deadline or family to spend time with then do so. You don't want to ride so slow as to not break sweat though try to keep it around 60% intensity and for over 40 minutes is what I believe is the point where fat burning is most effective.

That's what it says in the manuals.

But 60% MHR is deadly slow. You can afford to take it to 80%. Your body will burn fat either during the exertion or after it. To lose bodyfat by exercising for 40 minutes at 80% MHR, don't eat for it,,, before OR AFTER.

C

chillyuk

I came back to cycling "seriously" about 18 months ago. I cover over 100 miles a week at an overall average of approx 12 mph, and I also walk a lot, three times a week I do a 6 mile walk. I am 19 stone and 63 years old. In 18 months I haven't lost an ounce. I quit smoking 2.5 years ago so although I may be too fat I hope that my cardiac system is gradually improving. At my age now I just can't be bothered with diets and worrying about what I eat. I will probably be dead within 10 years whatever I do, so am just enjoying my retirement and the few years I have left. Since I stopped trying to turn every ride into a therapeutic session I am enjoying my cycling far more.

Having said that I understand people who who do look to improve their health, lose weight and improve their performance, and good luck to them.

thistler

Veteran

Depending on the wind/weather the rides last anywhere from 1-3 hours, generally avg speed about 13-15 mph. I always do at least 15 miles but if I've just done a long ride the day before then I'll take it quite easy. It is very flat here, I do a few short sprints but overall my speed/effort stays fairly consistent.  I don't know if it's 60%, it's a very comfortable pace but I can still tell I'm working. I'm breathing through my mouth but not very hard....

thistler

Veteran

But 60% MHR is deadly slow. You can afford to take it to 80%. Your body will burn fat either during the exertion or after it. To lose bodyfat by exercising for 40 minutes at 80% MHR, don't eat for it,,, before OR AFTER.

I'm not sure what % I'm doing...   :unsure:  How long before and after a ride should I not eat?  What if the ride is longer than 40 mins, (they are always an hour or more) say 3 hours, do I not bring a banana? 

Thanks for all your help!

yello

To lose bodyfat by exercising for 40 minutes at 80% MHR, don't eat for it,,, before OR AFTER.

Well, you can eat... eventually! Just not RIGHT after. :laugh: Normal eating times sort of thing...

I am a bit confused here though. I though that you burned fat at higher rates of exertion too, but just not as much as at lower rates when expressed in percentage terms of the total calorific burn. That is to say for example (and I know the numbers aren't accurate, I'm just making them up for the sake of illustration), at 60% MHR energy is sourced 70% from fat, 30% from carb. At 90% MHR, it's 30% fat & 70% carb.

So that might suggest, that even at the higher MHR you are still burning more fat than at a lower MHR... because 30% of the total spend is larger than 70% of a smaller spend.... or, as I say, whatever the numbers are.

I thought the 'you only burn fat at x% MHR' mantra was a bit of a white lie put about to make weight loss look less like hard work.

jimboalee

Here's what Brianmac says...

Research
Researchers from Birmingham University's Human Performance Laboratory attempted to pinpoint the exercise intensities at which fat metabolism is maximised in a study of 18 male endurance cyclists with a training background of at least three years. Their work found that the Fatmax Zone is between 68% and 79% MHR

Alternative research has suggested that when you cycle, swim, row or run at a modest intensity of only 50% VO2max (about 69% MHR), fat provides about 50% of the calories you need to keep going for the first hour or so. If you keep going after that, fat becomes even more generous, providing around 70% of the total energy after two hours and 80% or more if your work duration exceeds three hours. If you increase the intensity then the Fat contribution decreases - at 75% VO2max fat provides 33% of the energy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, you can eat... eventually! Just not RIGHT after. :laugh: Normal eating times sort of thing...
Yes, what Jimbo wrote was correct - if you are trying to lose weight, then don't eat for the ride, not don't eat at all. I.e. just eat your normal meals and don't eat extra to make up for what you burned on the ride. It is quite easy to do 90-120 minute rides on just water and wait for your normal mealtime, where you should just eat what you need to get you to the following meal feeling okay. 

jimboalee

The important words here are "eat for it". This means you shouldn't add anything extra to your daily intake for a 40 minute ride.

Rides longer than an hour, you will need to eat your BMR for the duration of the ride ( 65 kcals/hour ) plus more. 'More' is dependant on how much fat you want to lose.

jimboalee

Yes, what Jimbo wrote was correct - if you are trying to lose weight, then don't eat for the ride, not don't eat at all. I.e. just eat your normal meals and don't eat extra to make up for what you burned on the ride. It is quite easy to do 90-120 minute rides on just water and wait for your normal mealtime, where you should just eat what you need to get you to the following meal feeling okay.

You beat me by seconds.

yello

just eat your normal meals and don't eat extra to make up for what you burned on the ride.

Agreed. This is what I was humorously trying to imply! I wasn't disagreeing with jimbo at all!!

Jimbo, that research you quoted - the "alternative research" seems to suggest that what I thought might be correct. Sadly, they don't mention total energy used, only the percentage contributions, so I still don't know if 30% of x is bigger than 70% of y.

jimboalee

Agreed. This is what I was humorously trying to imply! I wasn't disagreeing with jimbo at all!!

Jimbo, that research you quoted - the "alternative research" seems to suggest that what I thought might be correct. Sadly, they don't mention total energy used, only the percentage contributions, so I still don't know if 30% of x is bigger than 70% of y.

This a strange one because it is generally regarded that calorific usage doesn't vary that much in distance terms.

So, a mile ridden at a slow speed at a low intensity & lower HR will burn a greater amount of fat than a mile at full bat.
The same goes for any human powered transport, inc walking, jogging or running.

What is even more strange is that because the slow mile takes longer, the effect of windchill is greater and assists the calorific expenditure. Therefore, in cold weather with thin clothing, the slow mile will use MORE calories than the fast mile.

The very best calorific usage activity is......

Open water sea swimming in just your Speedos in the bay at Vancouver on New Years day. :laugh:

Top Bottom