What is England's finest county?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
excluding London - Suffolk. Rolling ups and downs, pretty low-built villages, beautiful coastline and, most important of all, major, major skies with high clouds and great visibility

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Touche said:
I see that Scotland and Wales have been left out of this debate. It was a very pleasent ride through Fife last week.

So has Northern Ireland or Ireland as a whole!

County Down, round the Ards Peninslua is ace. I would also like to tackle the Antrim Coast Road sometime.

Overall I would pick Cumbria, mainly because of the Lake District. One of my favourite places, Lakes and Mountains everytime for me:smile:

But im surprised Northumberland has only had one mention! An absolutely stunning county, remote and wild. Not too many people and very little traffic.
I must admit its right on my doorstep and I just dont go there enough.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Touche said:
I see that Scotland and Wales have been left out of this debate. It was a very pleasent ride through Fife last week.

No offence but we know when we're beaten. And several Scottish and Welsh counties would beat ours so I kind of sort of kept it England. Don't let us stop you asking the same about those fine countries and maybe Ireland and then, when a consensus has been reached on best 3 England, best 3 Scotland, best 3 Wales best 3 (N) Ireland, we could have a play off?

upsidedown said:
But the fact that Richard Madeley has a holiday home there probably tells you all you need to know about the sort of people you're likely to encounter there these days.

Don't forget Andrew Ridgeley and Toyah too, but you can't measure a county by it's new comers.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
If it's England it can only be Oxfordshire, you'd be crazy to suggest anywhere else.

There's some fabulous parts of Oxfordshire. Absolutely FABulous. Very, very nice indeed and an excellent shout from that man.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
addictfreak said:
But im surprised Northumberland has only had one mention! An absolutely stunning county, remote and wild. Not too many people and very little traffic.
I must admit its right on my doorstep and I just dont go there enough.

Yeah yeah yeah, but have you seen where it is? It's north of bleedin' Yorkshire...it's north of bleedin' Newcastle! I mean, next stop polar bears, right?

DavieB

MIA
Id go with Cumbria, Cornwall, and (Royal) Berkshire. Not necessarily in that order. TBH I have not travelled that much in England, these places i have been to though and thought them pretty nice. But now Im thinking The Royal Forest of Dean deserves to be in there and as thats in Gloucester maybe it should get a shout too.

Oops my mistake take Berkshire out. I though henley on Thames was in Berkshire. So I guess Oxfordshire for me. Berkshire is nice too though lol

[quote name='swee'pea99']Yeah yeah yeah, but have you seen where it is? It's north of bleedin' Yorkshire...it's north of bleedin' Newcastle! I mean, next stop polar bears, right?[/QUOTE]

Well its not always the warmest place to be.;)

stephec

Legendary Member
upsidedown said:
But the fact that Richard Madeley has a holiday home there probably tells you all you need to know about the sort of people you're likely to encounter there these days.

And they don't like outsiders do they? ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yorkshire for the dales and the moors [and York], Cumbria for the Lakes, Northumberland for the emptiness and the coast up to Berwick, Cornwall for the cream teas, Norfolk for the Broads and it's flat......London for a laugh.

Bits as mentioned of everywhere else and that covers it.

Tea anyone?

Top Bottom