What is England's finest county?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over The Hill said:
- Brentwood; The birthplace of Noel Edmonds. Dayvo! ;)

Noel Edmonds was born in Ilford.

The Essex countryside is beautiful (not in the Cumbrian/Yorkshire/Devon way) but around Thaxted, Saffron Walden and out towards Suffolk, it certainly takes some beating.

I like the Kent countryside (The garden of England), but away from the cities and urban sprawl, England is a very beautiful country!

Excellent - all these votes for Cumbria, Yorkshire, Cornwall, Lancashire and Essex(?!). Hopefully you'll all bugger off to those counties and leave Northumberland wild, empty and undiscovered, just how I like it.
PS. Some bits of Pembrokeshire are pretty good.

TVC

Rutland. Because it is.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yorkshire, Thumberland, Cumbria. Did we forget Devon?

Gloucestershire around Stroud needs a big shout.

Oh, and Warwickshire. Kenilworth, Warwick and Stratford triangle.

Some nice bits of Lancs..... specially the bits near the Dales and Lakes.....

British Isles: North West Scotland (Ullapool area), then Connemara, then Pembrokeshire.......

Oh for god's sake, it's all just fantastic. Except Essex or Dewsbury.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Right. Listen to me. Listen VERY BLOODY CAREFULLY! YORKSHIRE is NOT ALLOWED. Know why? THERE'S. NO. SUCH. PLACE!!!

You can nominate NORTH Yorkshire. WEST Yorkshire. SOUTH Yorkshire (alright, maybe you won't) or even EAST Yorkshire but make your minds up will ya? One or the others, not ALL of them. It's not bloody fair, right?

JamesMorgan

I nominate Worcestershire. Partly because of the great network of rural roads for cycling (and the pubs) but mainly because it is right in the middle of the country. The best part about England is that all the counties are great and offer a huge variety of different scenary. To exploit this to the full, you are best to be right in the middle.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Norfolk's my favourite. And no it's not as flat as they make out (apart from a small corner west of Lynn). An amazing network of byways and bridleways on which to get away from the motons. You can go for miles and not see a soul. Nice pace of life and local folk who understand that not everything in life has to be a sprint. And a lovely pint of Wherry to end the day as well.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Glow worm said:
Norfolk's my favourite. And no it's not as flat as they make out.
Yes it is. It's flatter than they make out. It's really reeeeeally flat. Nice place, but...flat.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
God was bored and went missing for six days. The Archangel Gabriel found him resting on the seventh day.
"What have You been up to?" he said.
"I've created the planet Earth and it will be a place of great balance."
"Balance?" said Gabriel.
God explained.
North America would be wealthy and South America would be poor. "Over there I've placed a continent of white people, and over there a continent of black people."
God talked of different countries.
"That one will be hot and that one will be covered with ice."
Gabriel was impressed and pointed to an area in England and said: "What's that?"
"Ah," said God. "That is Yorkshire, the most glorious place on Earth. There will be beautiful lakes, streams, rivers and hills, great music, architecture, and sporting giants. The people from Yorkshire will be modest, intelligent and witty. They will be sociable, hard working and high achievers. They will be known throughout the world as diplomats and peace-makers."
Gabriel gasped in admiration, thought for a moment, and said: "But what about balance, God? You said there will be balance."
"Ah," said God, nodding sagely, "let me tell you about Lancashire..."

Top Bottom