What is England's finest county?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lived for many years in South Warwickshire (Stratford, Kenilworth, Leamington Spa, Warwick triangle), beautiful Heart of England.

Now live in West Somerset which is simply fantastic (Quantocks, Exmoor, Coast) although find the flatlands of the eastern part of the county somewhat "boring". Big shout for Devon and Cornwall (but West Somerset merges into beautiful North Devon, and is a lot quieter, as all the Londoners and Midlanders thunder down the M5 to Devon/Cornwall, leaving the fantastic roads to me and me bikes!)

Having said all that, my sister and parents now live in Cumbria, and it really is truly fantastic, so:

1. Cumbria
2. West Somerset
3. South Warwickhire

Don't we ALL agree that Cumbria is England's finest county?

Bit slow down here, just spotted this thread. What is 'finest'?

From your description, it seems terrific scenery is a synonym for finest. If you took all the people out, most counties would look pretty good to me (especially yorks)!!!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Spent a holiday in Suffolk once. Most boring holiday ever, so can't understand the support for it. And then my sister moved to Bury St Edmonds and taught in Newmarket and neither seemed as good as they should be. Mind you, John Constable seemed to like it. And there is Thorpness, the Meare and Aldeburgh.

Rutland? Never - bunch of small minded fools - left Leicestershire due to high Council Tax, and then found that without the buying power of a sensible-sized county, costs and therefore Council Tax bills went up.

Mind you, Grainstore Brewery, Oakham and Rutland Water - Multum in Parvo.

No one mentioned Wiltshire? Looking for a holiday there, and tried to see what there was to do. Answer - nothing!! And it has Swindon. So my vote goes to Cumbria for the lakes and fells.

postman

Legendary Member
Yorkshire -crap !!!

It rains all the time .Always another hill around the next corner .Terrible broken up roads .Traffic jams ,road works .And surly cafe owners who hate lycra and sweaty cyclists .

He ,he .Do you think that will put them off .

Top Bottom