What is England's finest county?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan Whicker

I need to add Essex to my other choices earlier on. Once you get beyond London's Deathstar-like influence (like, beyond Epping) it's a lovely, underrated county.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
I come from North Derbyshire but now live in Somerset, so hard to choose. It's got to be Somerset because of the weather!

Chromatic

Legendary Member
User482 said:
It's beautiful to be sure, but Cumbria isn't a county in the traditional sense though is it? It's an administrative convenience made up from Cumberland, Westmorland and north Lancashire. I note that the residents of Appleby changed the name of their town to "Appleby in Westmorland" after Westmorland had been abolished...I doubt they feel particularly Cumbrian.

Seeing as part of the Lake District used to be in Lancashire, I'm tempted to vote for that, but there are also some godforsaken old mill towns too. A bit of ying for the yang, I suppose.

So I shall vote for Bristol instead, as it is both a city and a county. Fantastic mountain biking and road riding is available in the city's doorstep. Wonderful.

If we are going to get all traditional then Bristol is in Gloucestershire.

Chromatic said:
If we are going to get all traditional then Bristol is in Gloucestershire.
You're Avon a larf!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have to admit, the nicest English county I passed through during my LEJOG was Cumbria. I haven't done all the other counties but it's the prettiest English county I've visited. Round about here, south Oxfordshire is v. pretty.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Northumberland. End of argument. :smile:
Especially for cycling. It really is the business... has hills if you want, flat if you want, coastal paths if you want... off-road trails if you want... countryside with bu99er all traffic; basically it is England's cycling heaven. :smile:

wafflycat

Fnaar said:
Northumberland. End of argument. :biggrin:
Especially for cycling. It really is the business... has hills if you want, flat if you want, coastal paths if you want... off-road trails if you want... countryside with bu99er all traffic; basically it is England's cycling heaven. :smile:

Along with Norfolk, England's two finest counties! :evil::biggrin:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
Gotta agree with you :tongue:

I can't comment on North Oxfordshire, but the Chilterns run through South Oxfordshire, which are jolly nice.

Along with Norfolk, England's two finest counties! :thumbsup::biggrin:
Don't know about Norfolk, but Suffolk strikes me as a great place to cycle around. Lots of lanes and not much traffic. A good place for a 10K or half marathon too, I would think.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll have to go Cumbria, especially cycling along the Wasdale valley with the fells around you and a pub at the end(although some very nice coastline around St. Bees and some lovely flat roads up on the Solway plain). The East Riding of Yorkshire for cycling, lovely picturesque and flat, and Dorset, especially the Isle of Purbeck, breathtaking scenery and great walking.

To be honest there are lots of counties I could list, one hidden gem being the southern & western parts of Berkshire, which have some beautiful rolling hills and nice quiet country lanes.

Top Bottom