What is faster off road - MTB or CX?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Veteran
Don't need stats, anecdotes will do. No deep motivation for needing to know, just interested. Is the greater weight and smaller gearing of a mtb offset by the advantages offered by its suspension?

simon.r

Person
Surely it depends on the terrain?

MTB faster on rougher terrain, CX on less extreme ground.

simon.r

Person
Surely it depends on the terrain?

MTB faster on rougher terrain, CX on less extreme ground.

And thinking about it, not all MTB's have suspension, bar that afforded by the tyres. There are more differences between the 2 than weight, gearing and suspension.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
Sorry for lack of detail in OP, I was in the dark so wanted to minimize typing! So if terrain is most important factor - what sort of terrain favours each particular type of bike, would you say?
Or - to rephrase it - if you wanted to ride home as quickly as possible from a few miles away and your route home was all off road - through a mixture of gravel paths, with some mud and sand and lots of small rocks and roots sticking out etc, which bike would you pick because you thought it would be faster?

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
Sorry for lack of detail in OP, I was in the dark so wanted to minimize typing! So if terrain is most important factor - what sort of terrain favours each particular type of bike, would you say?

The more extreme (rockier / bumpier / steeper...) the terrain the more able a MTB is. As a competent amateur (from a bike handling perspective) I can think of sections of off road trails I've ridden on a MTB that I'd have walked a CX through.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
The more extreme (rockier / bumpier / steeper...) the terrain the more able a MTB is. As a competent amateur (from a bike handling perspective) I can think of sections of off road trails I've ridden on a MTB that I'd have walked a CX through.
Thank you for your sensible and informed reply. Don't understand why some people choose to give a reply which is neither helpful nor amusing. daffodils.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I took my quite heavy Tricross on a mountain bike club ride. Climbing on tarmac and gravel, it left the even heavier mountain bikes standing. On tyre-width single track it kept up OK. On anything rougher than tarmac or gravel downhill and especially on a cemented random stone bridleway it was hopeless, I was off and walking and promptly turned an ankle over in the dark.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I wouldn't much like to ride a rooty trail on a cyclocross bike - my mountain bike (hard tail) just gobbles up roots at quite some speed. I think it would be horrid on a cyclocross bike!

Then again, I think I could ride almost any blue level trail faster on a CX - I think it'd be so much faster on the climbs that the losses downhill would be insignificant.

pjd57

Veteran
I've just bought a c.cross and have done a good few miles on it along the local canal paths.
It's quicker than the hybrid I had been using.
Going by Strava segments ( which I normally ignore ) I am going a couple of mph faster on the flat.

Top Bottom