What is it with BMW drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I find it impossible to generalise with drivers. I just checked .. of 80 reported drivers in 11 months (excluding HGVs) : -

13 Ford
9 Vauxhall
8 BMW
7 VW
6 Mercedes
4 Nissan
3 Seat & 3 Audi
2 each of Honda, Mini, Peugeot, Renault & Land Rover
1 each of Smart, Fiat, Citroen, Jaguar, Kia, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota & Volvo

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a big fan of these threads, a lot of experienced cyclists who are uber diligent when it comes to cyclists and other road users also drive Beemers. Saying that i used to drive my 400hp+ M3 around like a raving idiot, so, er, there we are :wacko:

It's not the car, as we all know. My sister and BIL now have a BMW and Audi, oh well. I've only ever been smashed to bits by small cars !! Two city cars finished me off....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I find it impossible to generalise with drivers. I just checked .. of 80 reported drivers in 11 months (excluding HGVs) : -

13 Ford
9 Vauxhall
8 BMW
7 VW
6 Mercedes
4 Nissan
3 Seat & 3 Audi
2 each of Honda, Mini, Peugeot, Renault & Land Rover
1 each of Smart, Fiat, Citroen, Jaguar, Kia, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota & Volvo

You have reported drivers ?

I'd give up, cycling isn't fun.... :wacko:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Just let it go. Don't let the idiot spoil your ride. Smile and wave. If the safest thing to do is to back off, then back off. Save the assertive riding for when you really need it to be safe. Life is too short to let aggressive people spoil it. Shrug and move on.
Hear Hear.
You've hit the nail on the head with that statement.
I wish i could of adopted that attitude in the heat of the moment to be honest but sadly for me i rose to the bait.
Tomorrows another day and you never stop learning. Hopefully in future your advice will come in handy and I will let such muppets take they idiotic actions away from me and not spoil what was otherwise a pleasant ride.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
German cars aren't even that good. Audi reliability is shocking and I'd never buy another BMW after owning a 3 series for a year - they're not that well built and they cost a fortune to fix. Japanese cars are much better engineered. If you want European, Skoda are probably best but are no longer the bargain they used to be.

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe already said but it's my opinion it's not BMW drivers it's some, maybe many drivers of powerful cars, often company cars, that have power under their feet, dont have to worry about fuel costs and often have a desire to get from A to B quickly. BMWs, Audis etc etc etc, I see them all hurtling along the A1M every workday. So e people find it hard to back off after a period of fast driving I guess
To counter the OPs arguement, which often but not always, may be true, I was once nearly knocked off at a R/A by a BMW. I waved my frustration at him, he stopped, got out the car and apologised profusely, and explained i'd been caught / hidden in his A pillars...which I immediately saw was a great possibility, accepted his sincere apology and rode on happy.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bombing downhill at 30 mph, I was a couple of car lengths behind a 5 series BMW. He slows and flashes the car waiting in the other lane to turn right across us both. Seeing my imminent demise I braked hard and bunny hopped into the pavement to avoid collision with the turning vehicle.

A hand gesture and WTF followed from me. The bimmer driver seeing his mistake, got out the car, walked over and said sorry. He didn't realise I was so close behind him.

All's well that ends well.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The wacko drivers where l cycle wouldn't be seen dead in anything but a German car. BMW's and any VAG car near me always send me into high alert.

Aye me too. I was having a good natter with one of your colleagues at the BRI last Sunday. He said you was a fine fellow.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
BMW drivers worst in my experience (both cycling and driving) closely followed by Audi. Not had too many issues with Mercedes. When I was in my early 20s I quite wanted a BMW but grew out of it.

Buck

Guru
@johnnyb47 glad you are OK and sage advice from @Apollonius. I try and let any close pass or example of bad driving literally pass me by although admit to a few foul mouthed rants in the heat of the moment.

i do disagree with the stereotypes that are on this thread. In my experience all cars/car makes are equally an issue let alone trucks and vans. Many are great and pass wide and safe but occasionally we get a “bad apple”. I can’t say there is a stand out brand of car, more the driver behind the wheel who has poor spatial awareness or an impatience and lack of regard for other users.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm with @Buck. Here in London, the traffic is so heavy (average speed 7.4 mph, I believe) that there are few opportunities to drive like a prat. Even the usually accused villains, black cabs and white vans, seem pretty blameless to me. In the 80's there were a lot of twenty-somethings driving hot hatches spectacularly badly. They disappeared as their insurance premiums priced them off the roads. By and large, I think it's economically unfeasible to drive badly in really heavy traffic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom