What is it with BMW drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Bombing downhill at 30 mph, I was a couple of car lengths behind a 5 series BMW. He slows and flashes the car waiting in the other lane to turn right across us both. Seeing my imminent demise I braked hard and bunny hopped into the pavement to avoid collision with the turning vehicle.

A hand gesture and WTF followed from me. The bimmer driver seeing his mistake, got out the car, walked over and said sorry. He didn't realise I was so close behind him.

All's well that ends well.

Surely a wind up post, it is up to the person behind to set the stage braking distance, not the one in front.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I must point out that Volvo owners are paragons of patience and politeness, particularly XC90 commanders. I mean drivers.

My younger sister drives one. She's a complete nob behind the wheel.
Drivers can be nobs no matter what they drive.

You attacked @vickster because she saw suv/4x4 owners as less than perfect drivers it seems because you have two of them, but you previously pointed out that Mercedes drivers weren't perfect. Would they be off the hook if you owned one of those too?
There's a slight odour of hypocrisy here.

FWIW, one of the best overtakes I ever had was by an Audi driver. Next best was a BMW.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Surely a wind up post, it is up to the person behind to set the stage braking distance, not the one in front.

I thought so too until I went on a speed awareness course, but it's a bit of both actually. If someone's on your back wheel(s) you should slow down so that you have more time to react to the situation ahead. If they slam their brakes on you can slow down more gradually if there is a bigger gap between the two of you and that helps the person(s) behind.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not that I want to defend drivers of BMWs Audis and Mercedes Benzes but I've recently had the misfortune to sit in a colleage's BMW 3 series and another colleage's Audi A4 and the even bigger misfortune of being given a Mercedes A class and a C class as hire cars, both horrible, and one thing they all have in common is that you sit low in the cabin surrounded by lots of black plastic and small windows and you can't actually see much of what's around you. By contrast in my Passat estate I sit high and surrounded by lots of glass and have an excellent view of my surroundings, so maybe SMIDSY is as much the fault of the designer as the driver.

Reactions: C R

bladesman73

Über Member
In my experience the wnkaz who drive bm's and mercs are mostly, ironically, brexit voting gammon. Ironic cos they supposedly "love my country, hate the eu" but drive euro cars. Loads of them where I work, thick as mince and their cockwagons purchased on credit, or bought cheap 2nd hand, which blows the "jealous cos you cant afford one" argument right out of the window.
For the record i dont drive, my choice cos i dont agree with sitting in a tin in traffic jams all day. I cycle everywhere, in all weathers, so again to reiterate the most aggressive drivers imo are those who drive bmw, merc and audi's.

In my experience the wnkaz who drive bm's and mercs are mostly, ironically, brexit voting gammon. Ironic cos they supposedly "love my country, hate the eu" but drive euro cars. Loads of them where I work, thick as mince and their cockwagons purchased on credit, or bought cheap 2nd hand, which blows the "jealous cos you cant afford one" argument right out of the window.
For the record i dont drive, my choice cos i dont agree with sitting in a tin in traffic jams all day. I cycle everywhere, in all weathers, so again to reiterate the most aggressive drivers imo are those who drive bmw, merc and audi's.

Stop holding back @bladesman73: tell us what you really feel.

I don't know how much local variation there is in the UK, but I have noticed that Germany has different culprits. Here the combinations to watch are older men in Mercedes* saloons, and 20 something women in anything. Neither are the "Accelerate from traffic lights" types but they seem to have an inbuilt sense of entitlement to the road and act aggressively. Audi's and BMW's are the next likely culprits.

Young men, the usual scourge of suburbia, are generally okay, possibly because there's a two year probationary period after passing your test and where it is very easy to get points on your licence or lose it altogether.

We also have little trouble with "White van man" possibly because most vans have clear branding and most tradespersons work in their local area where they will be recognised.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I dont think it applies to one brand of car over others. Although I certainly think driving around in new, usually German, cars seems to give some people an over inflated sense of self importance.
Glad you put him in his place OP.

Top Bottom