''What is that bike?!''

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wow a whole bike for the price of a half decent crankset!!!
Did a job for a guy today with 2 really crap FS bikes in the shed, I said do you like the bikes? We rode em around the village when we got them last summer, not been out on them since..

gbb

Legendary Member
Meh, I wouldnt dismiss it out of hand...remember ToysR Us had those Traxx 'racers' for about £100, guy at work went and got one, it was reduced to £50 :ohmy:.
He brought It in and showed me...
Tyres were ridicuLously heavy, hubs were a bit grindy, I quickly adjusted and lubed them, components were cheap....but, he was still commuting on it a year later, saved himself a fortune in petrol he said.
Personally i wouldnt buy it, but they can have their uses to some people who wouldnt dream of spending £500 on a bike, let alone a grand.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Shifters are a little odd I'll admit but not much different to the stem Shifters on some old frames. I guess it would do the job and would maybe make a good enough donor frame over time for upgrades to better parts! All got to start somewhere and if your on a tight budget and would prefer something you know you can take back if your not happy a couple of weeks down the line ;)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My neighbour is thinking of getting one of these for her 11 year old son. I am trying to talk her out of it. He's tallish but will 'grow into it as time goes on' Hmmm. Also at nearly 31lbs, I think that he might struggle a bit with it. Having said that, it's probably lighter than his BSO MTB that he is rapidly growing out of.
I think that I will continue to try and talk her out of it!

S.Giles

Sounds as if tyres and general quality control could be problem areas. If, (like someone who posted a review) I could get one for £45, I'd definitely go for it, just for fun!

Tojo

Über Member
I might buy one and do a paint job on it sticking some pinarello decals on and seeing how many compliments I get ;)

It would cost you more for the paint, and especially the Pinarello decals, than it's worth........:rofl:

MisterStan

Label Required
I saw one of these in my town the other day - the setup of the bars was so strange I took a couple of pics. Really doesn't look comfortable to me...

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 130
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 127

S.Giles

It's probably as good as, if not better than, most half decent bikes of 40 years ago. We did lots of miles on those and thought they were OK.;)
And a 'half decent bike' of forty years ago couldn't be purchased for £125, when inflation is factored-in.

Being sniffy about something cheap-and-cheerful like this is a knee-jerk reaction that some people simply can't resist. As compared to the twin-shock mountain bikes that hitherto formed the low end of the market, it's a huge step in the right direction, IMO.

There are many here who could benefit from buying one and using it as a platform to learn about bicycle maintenance. It would save them from having to run to their LBS every time their gears need adjusting or they hear a funny noise, and they would gain a better understanding of what a bicycle actually is! They may also come to realise that the wheelset that cost them twenty-times more than this whole bike isn't actually worth twenty-times more!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Horses for courses, innit?

Someone buying this bike isn't going to be doing centuries or powering up hills trying to grab a KoM. They're going to be pootling about or maybe doing a bit of commuting. Buying from Tesco means no intimidating visit to a bike shop and if it's not right you can take it back, no problem. Nobody who would be interested in this bike would even consider buying second hand.

Reactions: gbb

KneesUp

Guru
You need snobs otherwise there would bo none of your used bikes.
That would be fine for me, I have three that cover me for on-road (rough or with luggage), on road (smooth and/or no luggage) and off-road - inflation adjusted cost new c.£2,500, cost to me £58. They're all steel, and so have enough life left to outlive me, so I don't need any more :smile:

Admittedly only one of them is rideable, but still ...

How rough, and heavy will those front forks be?!:ohmy:

Yeah, it's a shame they haven't gone for curved ones - steel is a great material for forks if you let it bend a little to smooth things out, but that isn't a fashionable look it seems.

Top Bottom