What is the biggest rip-off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Road cleats are not really designed for any significant amount of contact with the ground. For commuting or leisure riding, mtb cleats (e.g. spd) and appropriate shoes are a better bet.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Road cleats are not really designed for any significant amount of contact with the ground. For commuting or leisure riding, mtb cleats (e.g. spd) and appropriate shoes are a better bet.
That's why I switched over to SPDs.

The last straw for me was an emergency bailout on local monster climb 'Mytholm Steeps'. I had Look pedals on my bike, and was wearing my SIDI shoes when my rear wheel slid out from under me on a wet section of road at 25% gradient. I got a foot down and that promptly slid away from me too. I cracked my tackle on the top tube and almost face-planted on the road. I then had to take my shoes off to walk to the top of the steep bit because I couldn't get started again, and I couldn't walk with my shoes on either!

I agree with you on the cycle clothing, a lot of it is well over priced.

I don't own a car, I haven't owned a car for over thirty years, my bike is my transport.

Perhaps what we should agree on is that a better wording for your post would have been: 'FOR ME, a cycle is something to get you from point A to point B, that's all it is (to me)'

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people on here would feel differently :smile: My bikes have become much more to me now that just a method of transport!

screenman

Legendary Member
I think what some may call a rip off is comparable with disposable income, the more you have the easier ins ome cases it is to spend.

A lot of my actual work time is nowadays spent taking small dents out of cars for this I charge on average £45 and it takes often only a few minutes per job, is this a rip off? I think not as there is far more involved than the customer see's as is often the case with most things we buy.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just a thought .... I find using cleat covers a PITA, but if they are tough enough to protect the cleats, why not make the cleats out of the same stuff?
The cost of Look cleats seems to increase every time i need a new pair - who sets the RRP? And its only 'recommended' yet every LBS I go into is charging it. My disposable income is certainly not increasing at the same rate as the RRP of Look products, if anything it is shrinking.

Just a thought .... I find using cleat covers a PITA, but if they are tough enough to protect the cleats, why not make the cleats out of the same stuff?
The cost of Look cleats seems to increase every time i need a new pair - who sets the RRP? And its only 'recommended' yet every LBS I go into is charging it. My disposable income is certainly not increasing at the same rate as the RRP of Look products, if anything it is shrinking.
Ah well, what we should be asking is how come the same cleats at Ribble are half the price of my lbs? I know the shop has to have a mark up but Ribble also have a mark up, I would dearly love to know the cost of manufacturing a cheap piece of plastic cleat. I have always used cleat covers [soft rubber, no use as cleats] so no wear there plus I have zero float and unclip less than others yet still they wear down.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
That's why I switched over to SPDs.

The last straw for me was an emergency bailout on local monster climb 'Mytholm Steeps'. I had Look pedals on my bike, and was wearing my SIDI shoes when my rear wheel slid out from under me on a wet section of road at 25% gradient. I got a foot down and that promptly slid away from me too. I cracked my tackle on the top tube and almost face-planted on the road. I then had to take my shoes off to walk to the top of the steep bit because I couldn't get started again, and I couldn't walk with my shoes on either!
I remember reading a post from someone who had had to walk to the top of a long hill because of ice, and when they got there had worn down their road cleats to the extent that they wouldn't clip in.

Seems to me like the people who design road cleats don't have any incentive to redesign them so they don't wear out so quickly. After all, it's the folk that are continually having to replace the cleats who are providing the designers' and manufacturers' income. I'll stick with my SPDs, thanks. Good design, cheap(ish), and don't wear out. Shimano must regret having designed them. Remember The Man In The White Suit?

GrasB

Veteran
I remember reading a post from someone who had had to walk to the top of a long hill because of ice, and when they got there had worn down their road cleats to the extent that they wouldn't clip in.
Speedplay road cleats. They're great on ice because the metal digs in :thumbsup:
useless on snow as they make a nice hockey puck of ice

ColinJ

Seems to me like the people who design road cleats don't have any incentive to redesign them so they don't wear out so quickly. After all, it's the folk that are continually having to replace the cleats who are providing the designers' and manufacturers' income. I'll stick with my SPDs, thanks. Good design, cheap(ish), and don't wear out. Shimano must regret having designed them. Remember The Man In The White Suit?
Indeed - I don't think that I have ever worn out a pair of SPD cleats but I've worn out SPD shoes and transplanted the cleats onto the replacement pair!

ColinJ

Brake blocks
Steve - try DiscoBrakes. My (late 90s model) Campagnolo Athena blocks are expensive if I buy the real McCoys, but last week I bought 4 pairs of DiscoBrake's Campagnolo clone pads for £8.37 incl. which I think is very reasonable!

I've been using them for a few years. The blocks are about 90% as good as the proper Campagnolo ones. The only minor criticism I would make is that they fade slightly when they get too hot, but UK descents are not really long enough to cause major problems.

They do replacement blocks for all Campagnolo and Shimano brakes and pads for most MTB disk brakes as well.

ColinJ

I was thinking about the high end stuff, more than brake pads for a car????
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-race-pro-2011-yellow-high-power-pads/
Ha ha! Seriously - ha ha!

I tell you - even if I were a multi-millionaire, I would not pay £10k for a bicycle (sorry Dave, but I probably would pay £3-4k!) and I would not pay more than £10 for a pair of brake blocks! I also would not pay more than £30 for a tyre or £30 for a chain.

If I had money to burn, I'd rather spend it on taking me and a cheaper bike on more foreign cycling trips.

Top Bottom