What is the biggest rip-off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cut him some slack guys, he's a bit down cos he couldn't ride today. Back on topic, it occurs to me I could buy a track pump for the price of a set of cleats or....I've said this before but how come you can pay more for a bike tyre than a car tyre?
Can you point to some bike tyres that cost 175 quid a corner?

Cubist

Still wavin'
They would be if you had to buy them, but I've never worn out the cleats that came with my various SPD pedals! :thumbsup:

Cheapskates ...! I've just been looking at some cheap M520s on eBay and they are being sold without the cleats, which no doubt are then being sold separately!
They are, for another tenner.

Can you point to some bike tyres that cost 175 quid a corner?
Why did I know someone would say that? I was talking average car tyre prices, you can pay over £100 for a tub and for my 195 car tyres I pay about £60. The point I was making which I'm sure you know, was the amount of material used in both, yet prices especially for a small [ecological] car can be similar.

400bhp

Guru
You're not comparing like with like. Try average comparison.

Average bike trye - perhaps £15

Speedywheelsjeans

Everything... The clothes, the bikes, the parts, club membership etc etc...

yet we still do it.

Why you ask?

You all know why!!! :bicycle:^_^

Id rather smash out £2000 on a tip top road bike with a team sky kit and fancy pedaling shoes that will give me endless enjoyment, fitness and an identity as a cyclist than £2000 on a crap holiday to lanzarote where you spend 7 days bored by the poolside drinking crap lager and arguing with the missus!

The maintenance costs and continuous part changes can be pricey... but worth it!

Reactions: gaz

Cubist

Still wavin'
Why did I know someone would say that? I was talking average car tyre prices, you can pay over £100 for a tub and for my 195 car tyres I pay about £60. The point I was making which I'm sure you know, was the amount of material used in both, yet prices especially for a small [ecological] car can be similar.
Chill. I had to put some new ones on my car on Tuesday , and I still can't sit down......................:blush:

GrasB

Veteran
You're not comparing like with like. Try average comparison.

Average bike trye - perhaps £15
I had this one out out with someone before & they simply didn't seem to get that when you compared like with like the prices are actually reasonable.

400bhp

Guru
Yep, and I've had this one out too. Compare percentage cost of average car tyre to ave cost of car and do the same with a bike and unless you are running a Trabant with Ferrari size tyres, think again.

And you're not comparing like with like again. The fact that a car tryre is a lower percentage cost of a car shows that a car is much more expensive compared to the cost of a bike-there's more sh1t in a car.

ooohhh things are getting hairy!!:popcorn:
Nah, never argue on the internet, you don't have to be part of a thread for long before you realise you are the slowest thing on two wheels, done the least miles in the longest time, have a crap bike compared to others and know nothing about them. Yet to meet these people but it's sure to be interesting when I do.:smile:

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
'Park tools' tools. Over priced and some of the stuff they have are rubbish. I find their spoke keys to be rubbish. I find using the m part pro spoke keys or equivalent to be much better. I may be biased because I generally hate pricey things and tools are just an extension of it but from my own experience as a bike mechanic, park tools do nothing special when you pay twice as much for the same tool.

Top Bottom