What is the fastest speed you have cycled ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It must've been over 40mph going down that hill in Snowdonia, before being launched into the air by the bike of the downed rider in front of me, followed by a sharp deceleration courtesy of a dry stone wall.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fast enough, on four wheels, to set the speed cameras off coming down from J24(M62). 50mph limit.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Way back in the 1980's, I had one of those speedo's that ran off a little wheel positioned against the bike front wheel. At speeds of over 30 mph the little wheel used to skip and wouldn't give a stable reading. The solution was to take one hand off the handlebars and reach down to hold it in place whilst pedaling like a demon on fast downhills...there was a stop for the needle just after the 40 mph mark and I regularly hit that. Stupid doesn't really start to cover it. :rolleyes:

Nowadays (using GPS), 35.1 mph on the hybrid, which felt like it was on the verge of running out of gearing almost as quickly as I was running out of road. Disk brakes = good.

And 39.1 mph on the road bike through the dip at Wothersome, near Bramham Park. Focused my concentration a bit there as the road was a little bit damp in the bottom of the dip and the gentle curve onto the uphill section seemed quite a bit tighter at that speed...:whistle:

I'll have to have another go next spring when it's dryer. It's a 60 mph limit so I've got a bit left to play with. ;)

Norry1

Legendary Member
57.2mph this year in the Alps, coming back down from Oz Village near Alp D'Huez.

Alps%20Garmin_zpswo0n36lz.jpg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
32.5mph on a sprint downhill on one of the roads local to me,

andyfraser

Über Member
I hit just over 43mph on my road bike on one of the hills down to J16 of the M4 last summer. Had I known the road I could've gone faster. I didn't know how tight a right hander was and slowed down for it. I didn't need to as it turns out but better safe than sorry. I keep meaning to go back and try for 50mph.

I've probably gone faster when I was younger but I didn't have a way to measure speed then.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
33mph, on the flat, along the river bank into King's Lynn.

I've recorded similar descending from the Mendips, but not quite that because most of them have hairpins or junctions at inopportune points.

What flat speeds have you all recorded?

Top Bottom